• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Just a quick question here, do generic household fluorescent uv tube lights do the same job as a reptile uv tube, they look the same and use the same power supplies but significant price difference. Seeing if I can save any money :D thanks in advance. This is to complement Brian's mega Ray as the other side of the table gets really dark :)

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:33 PM

No, because they HAVE to be uvb for reptiles, not just a normal fluorescent tube. If however you are just looking to increase the brightness of a table on top of a combined source then any bright light will do. If however the megaray fails then supplements will need to be increased until you can get a replacement. It's worth knowing that the bright light factor is very important where reptile activity is concerned. There really isn't a way to make short cuts with reptiles ;)

#3 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the reply sue, I'm goi g to order a proper uvb tube from swell for the extra light and as you say as a backup I case the MVB dies on me :) do you have a brand you would recommend, looking at swell's own brand because of the cost but if another is better I'll splash out the cash :D

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

I don't really look at the brand for tubes as I use supplements as well as D3 and run alongside a megaray. It's the brightness that is important for activity levels. I'd seriously think of getting him outside though as he needs to be a tortoise really.

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

Hi, sorry for the late reply, like Vera, brian now lives in the garden the majority of the time but currently lacking electricity outdoors so unfortunately come in on cloudy/rainy days. In terms of brightness do the higher uvb levels e.g 10.0 give if more light than say a 5.0. Thank you sue :)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

No the light levels are similar, hence me using any old tubes for added brightness. It's the brightness rather than the levels that encourage activity eg you can get plug in uvb bulbs with 10% but if you out one of those in a habitat, you will still have a very dark area of table and so, a much more inactive tortoise. Hope that makes sense.

#7 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

i think I understand :D so rather than levels, should really look at overall brightness and possibly length as the longer the tube the more light spread across the table :) thanks again ;)

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

Well you still need the levels too, but if you are topping up brightness then additional tubes don't need to have up to date uvb. Don't confuse fluorescent with uv been, that's why one is much more expensive than the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users