• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wm47133

Wm47133

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

We have a three year old herman that has been very sleepy for last month or so. He isn't pooing as much as he used to but did a big pee on the floor today. We were hoping to get him outside in the summer but temperatures here have been struggling to get above 17. Wondering what possible reasons would be for the lethargy as we expected him to be more active than he is

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoises do a lot better been outside this time of year, and with heat outside this can work.

Could you give us a bit more information please, like what his set up is like, what temperatures your getting, substrate lighting etc, also is he eating, and are you giving him a bath. :)

It isn't really a good idea to let them walk around on the floor, as they need the correct temperature and substrate at all times it can also be quite stressful for them.

Does he have an outside enclosure at all. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

You don't say where you are but if in UK it's never been too cold for them here to be outdoors. My own torts have had a brilliant summer in the garden and have bred outdoors too. The ambient temps are nothing to do with his ability to be outdoors, it's to do with basking heat, so either the sun or a basking lamp in covered area. Letting them walk around a house as Karen says is very stressful for them plus they won't have correct substrate, uvb levels, basking facilities etc. these need to be present at all times for a tortoise to thrive and not just plod along. The temp here today is 16 degrees and dull, but as I type I can see a male eagerly chasing a female across the garden! Naughty corner for him until he cools off I would suggest getting him into an outdoor enclosure ASAP while we still have some summer left. How big/heavy is he?

#4 Wm47133

Wm47133

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

We are new to tortoise as a pet but we are keen to learn so he can have a good life so I am grateful of all your advice.

We live near Glasgow on the edge of a moor. We are concerned that the rainfall combined with lots of wind and low temperatures was detrimental to him so have tried waiting for better weather. We were advised that outside temps should be about 18 plus and sunny but this looks like bad advice.

What sort of enclosure would you suggest for outdoors? He is only wee (3" long and around 154g) so will need to cover his full enclosure or he might be taken by a seagull or other large bird

I will attach some photos of him and his indoor enclosure.

#5 Wm47133

Wm47133

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

Any idea how to attach photos anyone?

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

We are new to tortoise as a pet but we are keen to learn so he can have a good life so I am grateful of all your advice.

We live near Glasgow on the edge of a moor. We are concerned that the rainfall combined with lots of wind and low temperatures was detrimental to him so have tried waiting for better weather. We were advised that outside temps should be about 18 plus and sunny but this looks like bad advice.

What sort of enclosure would you suggest for outdoors? He is only wee (3" long and around 154g) so will need to cover his full enclosure or he might be taken by a seagull or other large bird

I will attach some photos of him and his indoor enclosure.

Hi, you can get given a lot of bad advice, it's good to see your doing the best for the tortoise and doing research, everyone on here will be happy to give you good advice. :)

We have had a lot of rain lately, you will need to cover an outside enclosure with some form of mesh as birds will take small torts, it's also best if you can provide some heat outside, so some thing you can have a heat lamp in, my enclosure is attached to the back of the shed so they can go in there and there's a heat lamp for cooler days, it might be best to look into this early next year so he can be outside from spring, but if you still add some photos we will take a look at your set up now for you, to add photos you need to use some thing like photobucket to upload your photos, then copy them onto the forum. :)

Let us know if you need any help with that. :)

#7 Wm47133

Wm47133

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

I am going to erect an outside enclosure this weekend. I am OK at DIY and we have a small house that was used for a rabbit which I can convert to give him somewhere to go (I will add some insulation). I am assuming the heat lamp does not need to be the same as the one we have indoors and is only for heat. Our intention is to have him outside during the day and then bring him in overnight is this OK or is this harmful to him?

This morning we gave him a bath and he has just sat still in it. He would normally try and get out and when we put him under his lamp for a heat he just slowly went back to his bed. He has a heat pad on a glass panel where he sleeps. This is unusual behavior for him so would you advise us to visit the vet to check him over?

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

The problem with rabbit hutches is they have a floor, so don't give the option for them to dig down, which is natural for overnight and helps with smooth shell growth. The hide areas ideally need to be on soil, so without a base, although very deep soil within a hide area is a close second. Once he's outside he's best left out overnight, this is because if brought indoors, his ambient temps will be higher than outside which can lead to confusion. You need to remove the heat pad, this could cause dehydration problems. No heat is required overnight the same as in the wild, again this just leads to confusion. It sounds as though your torts problems are largely husbandry related rather than medical. Always be wary of using a vet that is not exotics qualified, as if medicated unnecessarily ( which many of them do) you might just end up with bigger problems.

#9 Lucyandjoe

Lucyandjoe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

We have a similarly shy tortoise, who has taken a little bit of settling in to his new surroundings. He has enjoyed being outside throughout day and night for the most part but is not overly active in this northern muggy weather. He eats well but doesn't exactly run around !
We have brought him in for a few days as the weather has been extremely cloudy but intend to get him out when the weather perks up this weekend.
When he is inside I'm unsure where to put the lamps. Could it have some advice about how to position the light and heat lamps please. Should they be in a similar spot of in separate places.
Thanks x

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

Do you have a set up indoors, and do you mean do you put the uv and heat lamp together, if so then the answer is yes they need to be together. :)

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

Agree with Karen, as with all things tortoise try to think of what they would have in the wild. Their heat and uv comes from the sun, so they need to access both at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users