• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

HI I'm after a bit of advice, currently Daisy is outside which attached to enclosure she has a fully insulated house, which she generally uses to sleep in each night, recently when she goes outside she has taken to digging down, and as the weather has been wet and cold lately I've been getting her back out and putting her in to her house I'm not  sure if have I confused her by doing this should I have just left her? and on the days it cold I have been putting her heat lamp on for a few hours each day to get her going, the last couple of days she's not been very fussy about eating and has come out today appears to have not ate anything and dug quiet a way under one of the little shrubs I have in.

My question is do I leave her? If so for how long? also am I doing the wrong thing by putting her lamp on (which I only put on  on cloudy/cold days.)   any advice please..  thanks.  

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

The problem might be her house as if she can't dig down into soil she will do it outside. Can you remove the floor from her house so that she can use it more naturally and dig into the soil like a wild tortoise? I would only use the lamp for long enough for her to warm up, they usually go and have a look outside then if you've not made it too cosy inside. It's not that important that they eat every day, some of my tortoises don't. A cold frame or small greenhouse might encourage her to stay above ground more. I hear it's not been too nice in your neck of the woods, which might have put her into autumn mode.

#3 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hi Sue thanks for replying I cant remove the floor but I could add extra soil, to see if that helps I do only have the lamp on for a couple of hours like you say just enough for her to warm up she does go out  for a wander but its just been for the past week she not gone back in her house and decided to dig down, she does have a coldframe in her enclosure aswel but never uses, should I try putting her in there on a night, and as you say the weather up here has been cold and miserable and I was also thinking about autumn mode.  

Should I leave her or dig her out ?

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

I'd persevere for now as there's time to have good weather yet. Try joining the cold frame to her hut, like a conservatory extension :)

#5 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi Pam,

I have a not dissimilar problem with my two juveniles (not yet 2 years old) who - although they are doing it inside their house - are digging down several inches and not emerging by themselves. I too wondered if the recent miserable weather and lack of sun has pushed them into autumn mode. (Although my adult male seems unperturbed and is eating/basking normally.)

I was unsure what to do about this (although my earlier thread asking for advice got no replies) but have opted to dig them out each morning, warm them up under their lamp and give them a warm bath. After this they usually eat but fairly quickly go back inside and bury themselves again, even on the occasions when it's warm and sunny. They don't seem particularly interested in basking in the sunshine.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing but, in the absence of any other advice, am persevering. I need them to hibernate in the depths of winter so have to keep them awake for a good while yet.

Regards,

Chris

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

Hi Pam,

I have a not dissimilar problem with my two juveniles (not yet 2 years old) who - although they are doing it inside their house - are digging down several inches and not emerging by themselves. I too wondered if the recent miserable weather and lack of sun has pushed them into autumn mode. (Although my adult male seems unperturbed and is eating/basking normally.)

I was unsure what to do about this (although my earlier thread asking for advice got no replies) but have opted to dig them out each morning, warm them up under their lamp and give them a warm bath. After this they usually eat but fairly quickly go back inside and bury themselves again, even on the occasions when it's warm and sunny. They don't seem particularly interested in basking in the sunshine.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing but, in the absence of any other advice, am persevering. I need them to hibernate in the depths of winter so have to keep them awake for a good while yet.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Im sorry your post got over looked, the weather is playing a big part to torts been quite at the minute, I would just keep doing what your doing giving them heat, and hope this weather picks back up they keep saying there's going to be a heat wave in August but im still waiting for it. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users