• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Since our Hermanns tortoises were wormed this year the older one has become quiet and appears a bit dehydrated...she eats but not as much as before she was wormed and just wants to bask or sleep.
They both get bathed three times a week and poo normally but the larger female doesn't pass much urates whereas she did before the worming.
Her mouth is clean and pink, no discharge from her nose and no breathing problems..could the Panacur wormer have dehydrated her and would it be ok to give her some Reptoboost to rehydrate her.
Having never used Reptoboost before what's the best way to administer it..ie.bathing her in it or syringe some in her mouth?
How often and how long should I give it.
All help appreciated

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

Urates can indicate dehydration or being well hydrated, it's only an indication of dehydration if it's powdery or lumpy. Reptoboost doesn't rehydrate, water and moist substrate does. I would never use reptoboost other than for a sick tortoise as too many electrolytes etc can do more harm than good if it's not needed. To be honest, this trend for boosting torts is getting a bit worrying, far better to address the husbandry first. What makes you think your tortoise is dehydrated? What do it's eyes look like? What substrate are you using and what temps, humidity etc? What amount of wormer was given? Can you post a pic?

#3 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

She's eating again...have been bathing her twice a day since I posted and she started eating...all good now. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users