4 replies to this topic

#1 JjayApril

JjayApril

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Hi All,

We purchased a Vivexotic tortoise table for our little Hermann but he seems to be pacing along the glass side quite a bit, I'm wondering whether the 'grass' effect simply isn't good enough to fool a tortoise or whether there is another reason?

Considering buying some vinyl to put on the outside of the glass to potentially fool him and turn it dark.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

Hi,

If he/ she can see out at all then that will stress him/ her they don't understand how they can see through but can't get through, if this is the case then I would cover it, I would also remove the sleeping area if possible as this will give him more space, tortoises will pace the sides if they don't have enough space, they will also do this in a new set up as they really don't like change so he might just take some time to settle in as well. :)

#3 JjayApril

JjayApril

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hi Karen!

Thanks for the feedback, he can't see out as the 'grass effect' blocks his view but I'm sure he's clever enough to realise that it's glass - it'll try and get it covered.

As for the sleeping area, I was going to ask if we can remove it as I've noticed he basically never uses it!

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

If the design is on the outside then he can still see his reflection on the inside. Personally I don't like design of these tables especially the glass and hide areas. They are made from a human point of view, not a tortoises ;) tortoise should not have sleep areas, they don't have them in nature, they dig down which helps with thermoregulation and good shell growth. We can't improve on nature no matter what manufacturers try to tell you ;)

#5 JjayApril

JjayApril

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

The 'sleeping' area has been removed and the wood taken from it has been used to cover the glass, all in all, he is much happier and not going near the edges - he could obviously see his reflection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users