• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

My tortoise has not eaten any of his cuttle fish in the two weeks he's been here, and will not touch any leaves I put nutro bal on. How long is too long without these? He climbs all over his cuttlefish and I tried breaking bits off so it's easier for him.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Hi Charlotte,

My lot never touched cuttlefish, I have chalk in my enclosures now and they don't touch that much it's mainly the females that have it when their getting ready to lay eggs or have laid them, you might be better getting some limestone flour and putting it in a little dish, and just let him decide when he wants it, they know when they need it. :)

When your putting the Nutrobal on his food it only wants to be a very fine bit so you can hardly see it, I changed from Nutrobal to Nekton msa a good few years ago I find they have that better. :)

#3 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Oh ok thanks, you always know the answer! It's very reassuring coming on here for help. I'll have a look for Nekton and the limestone flour x

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

I don't use cuttlefish as its high in phosphorous which they have enough of in the diet. I use Nekton too, much better. Use it daily so they have no choice.A fine almost invisible sprinkle a day is better than more just a couple of days a week. If you were taking a multivitamin you would take it daily, not just now and again.

#5 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Ok thanks, I'm onto it now. Will go to my pet shop later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users