4 replies to this topic

#1 Scribbage

Scribbage

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

Hi there,

I am new to being a tortoise mummy, please bear with me for my ignorance.  I am getting my 1 year old Hermann in two weeks time.  She is such a cutie!

She has been kept indoors mainly until now and I will be buying a good sized tortoise table to keep her in.

I have started to construct an outdoor enclosure using railway sleepers 3m by 3m, including a small cold frame inside.  I will add the usual pebbles, slate and plants.

Is it too late in the year (late August) to put Hettie the Hermann outside?  Would it confuse her moving her indoors at night?  Alternatively, would it be better to move her tortoise table outside, covering her from predictors, during warm days?  Should I wait till next April to leave her outdoors permanently?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure I give her the best life!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Emma

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi Emma, welcome to the forum. :)

I would leave her now and not put her outside I would just let her settle into her new table, they don't really like change so taking her in out will just upset her and make it harder for her to settle, also taking her in on a night doesn't really work because of the difference in temps, they need lower temps at night. :)

I would look at trying to add a heat source to your outside enclosure for next year this will help keep her outside on a more permanent basis for when the weathers a little cooler. :)

Any questions you have just ask there's always some one around happy to help. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

I would just add too, that at 3metres by 3metres you might well lose it. At a year old it will only need a small enclosure outdoors, say 1 metre square to begin with ;)

#4 Scribbage

Scribbage

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Thank you for all the advice! 

I wished I had asked about the enclosure before, could have saved a lot of time and effort digging the soil :(.  Oh well, is there for the future.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Thank you for all the advice! 

I wished I had asked about the enclosure before, could have saved a lot of time and effort digging the soil :(.  Oh well, is there for the future.

Yes, you can always pen a bit off and extend it as it grows. Remember it takes around 15 years for tortoises to become adult, sometimes longer ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users