• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

Little advice please I have a 40+ year old female hermann has always lived in the garden digs in for the winter I do cover the earth to keep snow etc off. Every year in July she will dig a hole and lay 5 eggs and cover them over you wouldn't know she had been there.so safe to say she's in good health Sorry this is so long. The advice needed is for mr mrs hermann I have just got. I have paper work so I know they are 15 years old. They have lived indoors with light on a tortoise table. mrs hermann lays eggs both look in good health but have never hibernated I would like to hibernate them how long should I let them sleep for the first time the one in the garden stays under ground for 4 months. I have a good brick garage and thought as soon as they start to hibernate I could pop them into a good box and put them in the garage

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi DJS,

Sorry for the long delay in responding to your query  :(. I have a 50+ years female hermann that I hibernate in a box in my garage every year at stable temps of between 2C-8C. She usually hibernates for 4 months though when we have  a mild spring I tend to get her up a little earlier. Personally I would be very reluctant to let a tortoise hibernate outside in the Garden unless winters in your location are very mild. This is usually the case with the climate in parts of southern England. You will find a lot of tortoise owners there use the natural hibernation method of allowing their tortoises to hibernate in an outdoor environment.

I would recommend a short hibernation if you are hibernating an adult tortoise for the first time. Preferably of no more than 3 months in length. This will probably mean you will have to hibernate your tortoise late or alternatively get her up earlier. Either way you will have to provide a suitable indoor enclosure with heat and light. Moreover, I think you are right to hibernate you tortoise as it will benefit her health and well being in the long run. 

Finally, I wish you the best of luck with Mrs hermanns :wub:  first hibernation and feel sure everything will work out just fine. :wink:

Take care. :)

Kind Regards

Freddy  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users