• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Wendy and I'm from Middlesbrough. I got my 1st Hermann Tortoise in May this year. He was born sometime in 2014 and we've named him Sheldon.

I got him from The Tortoise Shop in Hull and he has all papers and is chipped.

He's a little character and loves his daily soaks, climbing and stomping about.

Because we live in a flat with no outdoor space he is an indoor tortoise.

He has a large tortoise table with heat lamp and separate UVB bulb and he goes for outings to his grandma's to play in her garden when it is warm.

I feed him a mix of weeds, flowers and crispy mix lettuce.

He has a split scute on his bottom. I don't see this as a defect but that he's special :-)

I have been reading your forum for help since he arrived and have found it very helpful.

Attached Files

#2 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hiya my tortoise was also from the tortoise shop , hatched 2014 . I've only had mine since July so everything is still new to me and learn a lot reading things on here xx

#3 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi there. Possibly from the same mummy :-)

#4 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

Hi Wendy welcome to the forum, your little fella is gorgeous.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi there. Possibly from the same mummy :-)

Very unlikely as the tortoise shop buy in imports ;) keep your eye on the splits cute as it can be an entry for infection ;)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Wendy and I'm from Middlesbrough. I got my 1st Hermann Tortoise in May this year. He was born sometime in 2014 and we've named him Sheldon.
I got him from The Tortoise Shop in Hull and he has all papers and is chipped.
He's a little character and loves his daily soaks, climbing and stomping about.
Because we live in a flat with no outdoor space he is an indoor tortoise.
He has a large tortoise table with heat lamp and separate UVB bulb and he goes for outings to his grandma's to play in her garden when it is warm.
I feed him a mix of weeds, flowers and crispy mix lettuce.
He has a split scute on his bottom. I don't see this as a defect but that he's special :-)
I have been reading your forum for help since he arrived and have found it very helpful.

I'd be very wary of using the substrate you are using as it's very drying and draws moisture away from the shell, contributing to the pyramiding you can see. He also has signs of very fast growth which will only contribute to this, so might be an idea to make him a weight chart to keep on top of this. Personally I would keep him in his enclosure at all times as again, not keeping him in the correct habitat will only contribute to poor health, long term, especially if he doesn't have an outdoor area.

#7 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hi, Can I ask how the scute can let in infection? It isn't damage or anything he just has one extra and looks no different to his others. I believe from research online it is a birth defect and will have no negative effect on him it is a cosmetic issue.

He has put on 2g since I got him in May. I check him on a fortnightly basis and he has not got any longer or taller so not sure what you mean by signs of fast growth.

Please can you let me know?

Thanks

#8 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

I thought they bred their own, it says on website UK captive bred? I had that same substrate and after reading on here I changed because it didn't seem to let the tortoise do as he needed and bury himself a bit. I used coco coir after asking on here and keep it watered

#9 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

My yellow certificate says country of origin United kingdom? Surely they can't forge these?

#10 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

I've checked mine and it says the same. UK captive bred. I'll look into a change of substrate thanks.

#11 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Silly question. Is there any difference between the reptile and planting coco coir? Thanks.

#12 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

No that's what I used and I asked on here first,as long as you keep it watered is all ok, I had the type you add water to and it expands. Don't actually know if there is another type! Like I said I'm still learning and worrying about my tortoise every day x

#13 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

Thanks :-) I've just ordered some. He has a daily soak and has 2 bowls of water so don't think he's dehydrated but I'll definitely give this a try x

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Hi, Can I ask how the scute can let in infection? It isn't damage or anything he just has one extra and looks no different to his others. I believe from research online it is a birth defect and will have no negative effect on him it is a cosmetic issue.
He has put on 2g since I got him in May. I check him on a fortnightly basis and he has not got any longer or taller so not sure what you mean by signs of fast growth.
Please can you let me know?
Thanks

Sorry with you saying split scute I thought that it would be a split scute and not an extra one ;) sorry, the signs of fast growth are the start of pyramiding. I've had an email only today about a horsfield with exactly the same stacked scutes. Guess where it was from? What happens us that after buying them in they are power fed to make them grow faster and this combined with very dry substrate robs the shell of its moisure causing the raised scutes. Slow natural growth is totally smooth, the same as the sides of the egg they came from. It's not your fault, but will take a more humid environment and continued slow growth to make it less obvious.

#15 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

My yellow certificate says country of origin United kingdom? Surely they can't forge these?

If you got your tort in 2014 from tortoise shop it shouldn't have a yellow certificate, that's odd!

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

Silly question. Is there any difference between the reptile and planting coco coir? Thanks.

Yes, one has additives for plant growth, unless stated otherwise.

#17 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Sue. Was a little panicked my little mate was poorly with his scute phew! He came with aspen and when checking different forums and pages it seemed suitable with him having soaks and access to water. I was about to run out so have some coco coir on the way so he should be on that by next week :-) x

#18 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

No if you read what I said, hatched 2014 .I've only had mine since July this year, so do you think my yellow certificate is ok?

#19 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

Wuuu - I had some topsoil from wickes this week too for outdoor area, 4:bags for £10 and it says sterilised etc on the bag! I think that ok as everyone on here seems to recommend

#20 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

When I was looking into things before I bought Sheldon, I read all Hermann's needed the yellow paper to be legally bought or sold. I know it wasn't needed with Horsefields so I'm confuddled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users