• Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

My yellow certificate says country of origin United kingdom? Surely they can't forge these?

No they don't forge them, it's just clever wording when they apply for certs, so the dealers details go into the box instead of the actual breeders. Not allowed to name and shame on the forum, but certain organisations/ dealers have a lot to answer for in the name of healthy tortoises, sadly.

#22 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

No if you read what I said, hatched 2014 .I've only had mine since July this year, so do you think my yellow certificate is ok?

It depends on where you got it from. If directly from DEFRA then fine, but if from a dealer or breeder, then no.

#23 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Sue. Was a little panicked my little mate was poorly with his scute phew! He came with aspen and when checking different forums and pages it seemed suitable with him having soaks and access to water. I was about to run out so have some coco coir on the way so he should be on that by next week :-) x

If you think of tortoises in the wild, nobody soaks them on a regular basis. If he needs this then it's because the humidity is far too low. If you put a hygrometer in a house it will be very dry, if you put it outdoors, even on a dry night it will be very high at ground level. This is what needs to be corrected, so we need to add moisture to the substrate, otherwise they won't grow smoothly.

#24 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Me too, sure someone will be able to explain

#25 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

When I was looking into things before I bought Sheldon, I read all Hermann's needed the yellow paper to be legally bought or sold. I know it wasn't needed with Horsefields so I'm confuddled.

The person breeding or selling the tortoises needs to have the yellow article ten cert with imprinted stamp on it from DEFRA. They should then either write the number down for the new owner or give a photocopy. By law they then have to return the yellow cert to DEFRA. Years ago, certs used to be passed to the owner, but that changed some years back. I give all new owners a full photocopy marked 'copy, for information only' so they have full details of their new babies from hatching onwards. I'm assuming your tiny babies came complete with microchips :(

#26 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

Still don't understand, I have a yellow certificate stating species name testudo hermanni, one live tortoise fitted with micro chip num:, country of origin United Kingdom. Hatched 2014. Signed by Heather Strainge

#27 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

Still don't understand, I have a yellow certificate stating species name testudo hermanni, one live tortoise fitted with micro chip num:, country of origin United Kingdom. Hatched 2014. Signed by Heather Strainge

There you go then you have a microchipped tortoise, chipped at 6cms. My two year olds are still less than 6cms, so it's been power grown, microchipped and reregistered all before a year old. I know it's not your fault, but it's pretty inhumane in my book, just to get more money out of them :( I won't chip mine until adult as its a horrible procedure and stressful to such tiny babies :( DEFRA have no say as to what is on the cert and can only go by what the dealer tells them. I so wish this horrible trade would stop, yet another reason to leave the EU lol

#28 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

As I'm still new to it all I thought I was doing the right thing buying a micro chipped tortoise from what I thought was a reputable dealer. Everyone claims to be doing the best, I just wanted my tortoise with a whole set up, I didn't want to risk bodging anything or making do. However, after buying my tortoise table from said shop, partner and I agree we could have done a lot better job for smaller cost. We live and learn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users