1 reply to this topic

#1 trikeman02

trikeman02

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Hi Folks

I'm really interested in purchasing a hatchling hermann tortoise.  I've read up about them and i think it would make a perfect tortoise for myself, being a total newbie.

im going to be building a tortoise table over the next month and hoping to find a tortoise the following month.

i would like to know if the breeders have to ensure that the hatchlings reach a certain size or age before they can sell them on?  I would like my hatchling to be as young and as small as possible.  is there any breeder thats gonna have any hatchlings available over the next couple of months? - i'm based in Bolton near Manchester

Kind regards,

Teccy

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi Teccy
I will have hatchling from this year available next month. There are no restrictions on how small they are but most breeders won't sell until they are a certain size as this means they are less likely to have problems. I usually keep mine until after their first hibernation, but have some that hatched larger than usual this year and so they can go a bit younger than usual. I deliver my babies and will travel to your area. Make sure your table is as big as you can allow for and be prepared to make an outside enclosure for next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users