3 replies to this topic

#1 SarahHull

SarahHull

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hi everyone,

So, Tony is doing well. Had him for just over one week now. I have a question that I would appreciate some help with.

He's just over one years old, if I take him outside on a nice day, will he only eat the plants he can eat? We have some weeds outside that I know he can't eat, so will be getting rid of them as soon as possible. Is he of an age to let him have a wander around the garden? Obviously me and my partner will watch him closely. We haven't been able to sort an outside enclosure yet.

Thanks!

P.S, here's a picture of Tony looking grumpy after the bath.

Sarah.

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:53 AM

Hi Sarah,

No they wont just eat plants that's good for them they could also try some that's not, so he really needs an area with safe plants ands weeds, also I would say it's not the best idea to let him just wander around the garden at his size for a number of reasons one him been small a bird could easy take him, and if you took your eye off him for a second he could easy get lost and dig down some where, they really do need a safe enclosure at this age, just to add tortoises really don't like change it can be quite stressful for them so taking him in and outside, I would leave him indoors now and give him time to settle properly into his table set up, and look into an outside enclosure spring time. :)

#3 SarahHull

SarahHull

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thank you for the quick reply and advice. Changing his substrate so I can grow some friendly weeds in his enclosure to grow until spring time. :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:02 AM

Hi Sarah,

Do you mean indoors or outdoors, seeds do well been planted outside later in the year they come through nice in spring time ready for them going out, these are really good seeds to buy  http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm  :)  you can buy some that are cheaper but there not as good and have been known to have plants in that are not so good for torts. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users