• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

If your tortoises mate/breed and you incubate your eggs, and you're not a registered breeder, how do you go about certificates?

Just a question!
Recent bad experience with tortoise shop in Hull which will not be mentioned but I now have two more hermanns(from elsewhere ) which may/may not end up being separated depending on sex .
Thanks I know someone will know

#2 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

Didn't mean to post that many times, I must really want to know ☺

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi Charlotte,

I've removed the other posts it's fine, it's not that you have to be a registered breeder you just need both the male and female chipped and the correct papers in your name to be able to apply for hatchlings Certs. :)

#4 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Thanks that's simple. Just little things tick over in my mind and I like to know!

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

Hi Charlotte, there is a charge for hatchlings papers not 100% sure what it costs now but Sue will know.

#6 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

Nothings even on the cards like that, just forward thinking but as mine are only babies and don't even know the sexes, it's either a looooonnnng way off or simply impossible !😆

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

DEFRA or CITES change things all the time. It's now harder to get certs in that the charges are a pain. It's £31.50 for the first hatchling and the £1.50 per hatchling in the same clutch after that. Each parent has to be microchipped and registered with DEFRA for article 10 certs at a cost of £31.50 per tort plus the cost if microchipping. This could all change at any time though as DEFRA like to keep us on our toes lol

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:40 AM

Nothings even on the cards like that, just forward thinking but as mine are only babies and don't even know the sexes, it's either a looooonnnng way off or simply impossible !

Yes, I understand what your saying but always best having all the information upfront, also just to add to what Sue has said Defra changed the rules some time back, and if your hatchlings become 60mm you have to have them chipped and their own papers applied for before you could sell them, which in my opinion is way too small for them to be chipped. :)

#9 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

Ah ok. Probably will have changed a lot more by the time think of all that. Thanks to you two , very informative, better than Google lol
Xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users