• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 annebaughan

annebaughan

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:58 AM

Hi I live in hoyland barnsley and was hoping there was a kind person out there that would let me put my Sheldon to sleep for the winter with them,I am so scared of getting it wrong and losing him please if anyone will help get in touch.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

I would be very wary of taking anyone else's tortoise for hibernation if I did not know the origin, as in being one of my own bred babies. Tortoises, especially horsfields are notorious for carrying pathogens that can kill others, for this reason I would strongly suggest you either follow directions to hibernate him yourself or keep him ticking over for the winter with no weight gain. This is not easy with horsfields but better than feeding ad lib for the whole year. What is it exactly you are worried about? It's very easy when done correctly and we will be here to help you all the way.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

Hi I live in hoyland barnsley and was hoping there was a kind person out there that would let me put my Sheldon to sleep for the winter with them,I am so scared of getting it wrong and losing him please if anyone will help get in touch.

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

I agree with Sue on this, he would be a lot safer if you hibernated him, how old is Sheldon, were always here to help you with hibernation, have you done any research on it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users