• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ash&&Joe

Ash&&Joe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

One of my tortoises has a greeny/yellowy substance in its usually white urates. There is still the white part too. I initially thought it was puss but then realised the white part is the same consistancy as it has always been but the green/yellow part seems to be gritty. Like sand. I am making sure he is getting plenty of water to try 'flush' out whatever it could be.

Apart from that he is still a very happy tortoise, eating, sleeping, sun bathing, pooping, exploring and bright eyed.

I can't seem to find any information on tortoise websites or forums.

Has anyone had this with their tortoises before? Could anyone give me any advice on what to do?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:34 AM

Hi Ash, welcome to the forum. :)

Could you give us a bit more information like how you keep your tortoises, what substrate you use etc, and also what your feeding them. :)

#3 Ash&&Joe

Ash&&Joe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

Sure.

They are 15 years old. I have had them since they were half a year old. And, apart from a dog attack on one of them when he was a year old, they have had no health problems so far.

They have free range of a room in the house, where the floor is tiled (easy to clean) and they have a heat lamp to sit under on grey days. They also have free range of the garden, which has a lot of clover and dandelions and various other plants we've planted for them (succulents, campanula), and we fed them lettuces and green beans and cucumber A LOT (which I occasionally sprinkled calcium powder on) till this summer when I did some research and found what they should really be eating - As I was worried they were slightly pyramiding. So I changed they're diet, mainly by not giving them as much store bought food, as what I found was that they COULD BE pyramiding because the store bought foods are too high in vitamins and minerals for the slow growth they need. I did notice they started roaming and eating more of the plants planted outside instead, so was very happy. I do still give them a few things from time to time, lettuce leaf (cos usually), raw green bean, boiled squash, a lot of cucumber (especially the one currently peeing this weird substance - trying to flush it out of him), a little asparegus, radish leaves. Not all at the same time and only when we have it and when they're mostly under the heat lamp because of bad weather.

About two weeks into changing the diet, one of them (not the one who was bitten) started having this greeny/yellowy/sand type substance in his white uriates. And, as I said in my first post, everything else seems normal.

Thank you so much for replying to my post, I am quite worried about him. I hope the information I've given is enough for maybe a little bit of advice? Let me know if you need to know more. I really look forward to finding out more. And if the changes I have made to their diet are wrong or more needs to change, I am very open to hearing it.

Many Many Thanks

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:48 AM

Hi,

It's probably down to the diet change and too much cucumber, I would stop feeding the cucumber for now and just give the tortoise a regular bath instead, and try and feed a weed diet where possible, you might find these helpful on diet  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp.

Do the tortoises have any form of substrate or are they just on a tiled floor. :)  

#5 Ash&&Joe

Ash&&Joe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

Fantastic, thank you.

I did want to take a picture of it if you wanted to see it but he has had normal pee for the last few days, so I am relieved.

Yeah, the floor indoors is tiled. There is a concrete patio in the garden and a very big lawn. They do sleep in newspaper indoors and dig themselves into the soil when sleeping outside in the summer. I have tried to find an alternative to the newspaper but as they are open to the whole room it's difficult to use anything else as it gets messy all over the room. I am very open to suggestion though if you have any?

The other thought I had was I recently (around the same time I changed their diet) scarified the lawn, which exposed a lot of moss. Could the moss have caused him to have this substance in his urates? If he had eaten some.

Many thanks. :)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

Newspaper really isn't a good substrate to use really, their best on soil, is there no way you could section part of the room off for them and fill that with soil for over winter time. :)

#7 Ash&&Joe

Ash&&Joe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, can try. Might need to make them a new sleeping box that they'll have to climb into so the soil stays within that. But they're big enough now and seem to enjoy climbing :)

Thanks for the advice, very helpful and reassuring!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users