Our first trip to the vet...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

...we went all the way to Falkirk as these people were recommended. Got a long rant on the true origin of the tort ie the wild or a 'farm' ie the wild. My boyfriend purchased it and I did all the research into husbandry. I had no idea that the CITES forms were so commonly fraudulent and that they were so freely imported!! Anyway we have him now so best make the most of it and make sure he is well.
He told me that sand was unhygienic and I'm best with paper. He also told me to create a background heat source using a heat mat??? (thought they were a no no!?)Told me that fruit can make up to 10-15% of the diet?? Is that right??? Gave me an electrolyte solution to bathe him in twice a day and gave him some wormer for round worm.
I'm angry and feel really guilty cause I did make sure it had a cert and I was told it was captive bred but I've still ended up with a poor wee stressed tort!!:'( :'( Why do DEFRA still issue cert for imported torts from Sovenia if their origin is so dodgey???x(

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-12-05 AT 08:35 PM (GMT)]Some vets can be a little harsh and I've been to them with tortoises in the past and had a tongue lashing for no good reason. Kirsty you have the tortoise now, don't panic, just give him the best life possible but without a heat mat.:D Why did you need to take it to the vet, is it sick?

#3 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

No its not sick as such... its from Slovenia and although I did not buy directly from Wilton Pets it says their name on the cert. So took it to get it checked out. He said once it does a poo I've to take it and have it looked at again. Its not eaten since I've had it (a week) so it hasn't poo'd although it has peed 3 times and they look normal. He says that he hopes the vitamin solution I have to bathe it in will help it to get going...

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

Is the tortoise lively, a week isn't a long time for a tortoise not to eat,my sister had one that didn't eat for nearly eight months, it's cool now but then she never gives up on anything. The tortoise is just settling in, keep with the baths and tempt it with food, it will eat, it's probably just a bit confused.:D

#5 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

Unfortunately some vets can make you feel real guilty and you can come away thinking your some kind of tortoise killer, we learn't a long time ago to take alot of what they say with a pinch of salt and to research rather then ask a vet, sorry but alot of them don't know enough about tortoises to write on a postage stamp so aslong as you have people on this forum to help ya, don't worry, your not on your own.:D

#6 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

Well said omare :D . I wouldn't trust a vet for care information unless they keep tortoises themselves.

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

Yep and luckily we have a vet now that does but we had to go through so many to find one. :D

#8 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:04 PM

Cool thanx guys!! Wee Archie gets up in the morning by himself about 6ish and goes to bed about 5 but the light doesn't go out until about 8 and he seems lively enough so fingers crossed he's ok!!

#9 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:10 PM

Kirsty honey, give him a run of a warm room, let him explore with you supervising, let him get an appetite by walking, if he's asleep too much he won't feel like eating, warm baths, lots of walking and try feeding at a certain time so he gets a routine up and gets use to everything including you. Don't worry about what the vet said, you will get hardend to their criticisums the more you learn and maybe you will be able to teach them a thing or two in the future.lol:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users