6 replies to this topic

#1 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hi all,

I have been using a heat lamp with a 100W bulb for Queenie as well as the Arcadia T5 D3. The problem I am having is that the heat lamps keep breaking (i have returned 3 to the store in the last 9 months!). Also i think it may be time to change the Arcadia T5 light as ive had it about 9 months, so my query is does anyone have any recommendations for perhaps changing the whole lighting system? 

To be honest i'm sick to the back teeth of constantly returning these heat lamp clamps to the store (as they arent exactly the most helpful bunch) so i was thinking of getting a Combi Bulb to do everything. I've had a look on the Tortoise Shop and found this - http://www.thetortoi...t-lighting-unitbut wondered if this is any good?

This doesn't include the bulb so can anyone recommend a bulb that would work well?

What does everyone else use please?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

nic 

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hi Nic,

If you want to change and use a combined bulb then you wont go wrong with the mega ray bulb, I've been using these for some time and find them really good, here you go.  http://www.megaray.c...b5b1c851d45e646  :)

#3 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

Hi,
Thank you so much! I'll give that a try then! So will I no longer need a spot lamp to give off heat as this will work as an "all in one" so to speak? Just this lamp alone is enough? Can I ask where you brought the holder to put the bulb into? The ones I've been buying seem to break every 5 minutes!
Thank you!
Nic

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:34 AM

Hi Nic,

Yes this bulb will do heat and uv together, I've had my holders for years, there just some thing like this one,  http://www.reptiles....amp-414932.html, hope that helps. :)

#5 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

Hi Karen,

Thats perfect - thank you so much! I will have one happy tortoise on my hands now :) 

#6 Millertime1485

Millertime1485

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

Not to hijack this thread but I've actually been having a similar issue with my bearded dragon and am looking for some input for my soon to be hermanns enclosure. Despite probably being more work would it be viable to have a che with an indoor housebulb to replicate the basking spot and then a UVB tube? I understand it'd probably be easier just have a mercury for the basking spot but I'm really getting tired of these things breaking for the price tag that comes with them. I just find that the che have such a long life and I'd rather replace cheap household bulbs if I could.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hi all,

I have been using a heat lamp with a 100W bulb for Queenie as well as the Arcadia T5 D3. The problem I am having is that the heat lamps keep breaking (i have returned 3 to the store in the last 9 months!). Also i think it may be time to change the Arcadia T5 light as ive had it about 9 months, so my query is does anyone have any recommendations for perhaps changing the whole lighting system? 

To be honest i'm sick to the back teeth of constantly returning these heat lamp clamps to the store (as they arent exactly the most helpful bunch) so i was thinking of getting a Combi Bulb to do everything. I've had a look on the Tortoise Shop and found this - http://www.thetortoi...t-lighting-unitbut wondered if this is any good?

This doesn't include the bulb so can anyone recommend a bulb that would work well?

What does everyone else use please?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
nic

That's not actually a heat lamp holder, it's for the compact uv lamps which are not much use at all. It's worth knowing that you don't have to use special reptile heat bulbs, a normal spot lamp will do just as well. As Karen says, the megarays are excellent bulbs but you still need a good holder. Often the problem with clamp lamps is that the connections move as the bulb gets hot so they just need to be rearranged slightly. Normal farm pig lamps are a good alternative and work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users