Photo

Questions From The New Carer Of Em & Eb...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

Bonjour from France where there are no forums nor Vets with required expertise in my home radius to ask these questions.

Emily & Ebony came to me 3 months ago from a family that are returning to the UK to live & the girls do not have either Microchips nor certificates to pass thru the Douanes/Customs.

When they arrived they brought 1000's of friends with them called MITES...I threw away the compressed newspaper pellets they had for bedding, scrubbed the tray with Hibiscrub & replenished when dry with a new beige colored vegitale pellet to be able to see the mites better if they return. The girls were covered in mites too which dropped off in their tepid bath which I repeated 2 x times per day until clear & now I bath them every other day...no mite problem since.

They had only ever been fed with 1 type of lettuce & have since living here 3 months now  refused to eat the very varied feeding that I have so far offered of Hibiscus flowers & leaves, Buddelia flowers & leaves, Honeysuckle flowers, Rose petals, dandelions, clover, green hay, sow thistle & chickweed. When bathed they pass the urates cloud/string BUT I cannot find any poo in their tray. They drink ok & they do eat the lettuce that they like, they also chew on the Cuttlefish & boiled egg shells.

I was told they are approx. 2 year old females! if not Emily will have to be Emile & Ebony je ne sais pas!!! I found the original breeder & he tells me they are too young yet to determine their sex.

Questions? do you know of the tortie wormer called KUSURI & is it good, bad or indifferent??? at what age should they be wormed & how often??

They are not very active & stay buried in the bedding most of the day & nite. They do have a 60W heat lamp altho  they stay in a cooler corner more often than not. The temp in their table is 25° & 50° humidity.

Any advice welcome please...

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Your temperatures are a little low if you try and aim for 32 instead of 25 you might find they get up better.

With their diets if you stop offering the lettuce they like and just offer weeds and flowers they will eat it, but if you give in and offer the lettuce they will just keep eating that, it's just like kids and junk food, also you might find they eat better when you get the temperatures correct in their table. :)

Im not sure about the wormer your talking about hopefully someone else will be along soon to answer that, I use panacur for mine. :)

#3 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

Karen...thank you for your reply BUT I stopped feeding the Romarin lettuce because I could not find it & that is when they stopped eating. I am well used to fussy eaters as I have Dartmoor ponies, donkeys, miniature sheep, dogs, cats & Lovebirds....so how long do I withdraw Romarin lettuce as it now several weeks.

I have ordered a new heat lamp 100W & ceramic holder with shade which should arrive later this week which hopefully might adresse the probleme.

As for using Panacur wormer ...how often? at what age? & administered by tube at the Vet I assume?

Kim

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

Tortoises can go for several weeks without eating, so long as they have water. I personally don't like Kusuri which I think was originally made for birds. You don't need tubes for panacur as it has no flavour and is readily eaten. Using the paste for puppies and kittens it can be given at two syringe graduations per kilo of tortoise. Put it between two lettuce leaves and let them eat it as normal. You will need uvb light too and a supplement such as Nekton MSA. Good luck

#5 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

Thankyou for your reply "wizzasmum"..... Yes they do have a UVB bulb & the supplement I have is <TETRA REPTOMIN BABY & I will look for the one you suggest...

EM & EB weigh just 99 grams so hardly a measure on even the smallest syringe. But do they need worming @ ? 2 years old???

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

It depends on their origin and the way they have been kept ie outdoors, indoors etc

#7 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

Hello Sue, they were born in France by a breeder that I know of & they were kept both outoors in a clean & restricted enclosure moved every day when the weather was good as it often is here in France for many summer months & indoors for Winter but not hibernated.

I ask about the worming because altho they eat the Romarin lettuce I cannot find any poo at all for over 4 weeks now or I would have that tested.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hello Sue, they were born in France by a breeder that I know of & they were kept both outoors in a clean & restricted enclosure moved every day when the weather was good as it often is here in France for many summer months & indoors for Winter but not hibernated.
I ask about the worming because altho they eat the Romarin lettuce I cannot find any poo at all for over 4 weeks now or I would have that tested.

I worm mine routinely mid summer, but don't see parasites at all. If you decide to adopt the annual worming method, then do make sure it's not near to hibernation as obviously you don't want traces of chemicals in the animal while hibernating. You can use crushed pumpkin for natural worming, which can be done at any time, but it must include the crushed seeds as this is the part that contains cucurmin, the natural worming substance.

#9 kizzydartmoor

kizzydartmoor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

bonjour...having taken on board all the advice offered on this site & purchased the Arcadia 18w Desert Pro lamp & completely new substrate dampened with the daily warm bath water, my torties Em & Eb have forgiven my ignorance/inexperience & are flourishing...a poo each very often, urates in the bath, lively after bathing times but more importantly they now actually get up out of hiding & have a walk around to check everything out as I move things around to different positions daily to give them a new dimension. Just on occasions do the have the Romarin lettuce but daily now eat Sow Thistle & Dandelions & altho I offer rose petals & Honeysuckle they ignore them...maybe in time they will. I have a roof tile with a rough surface as a ramp up to the food bowl to help keep their nails & beeks in trim & another rough stone has the Cuttlefish on for the same reason. Just a sneaky feeling but Emily might not be a girl & will have to have a slight name change to Emile...could be wrong but wait & see....**************************many thanks to all who gave the good advice********************

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users