3 replies to this topic

#1 beccaj

beccaj

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

My name is Becky and yesterday my husband gave me a Hermanns tortoise for my Birthday. It was a lovely surprise as I have always wanted one. However, I am a little under prepared and would love some help/advise on how to care for him. He is tiny! I never expected a tortoise to be so small and, dare I say it, does not seem to be very happy...Since he arrived yesterday evening he doesn't  seemed to have drank, eaten or even moved that much.

I have tried to find out  information on line but so much of it seems conflicting. My husband bought everything the seller advised him to get..An indoor table, 2 lamps, some substrate, dishes, bowls, digital thermometer, spray cleaner..... but no real advise!

Hope to hear from someone soon

Becky

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hi Becky, welcome to the forum. :)

Do you have some thing to check the temperatures in your table as these need to be right for the tortoise to be active, but also tortoises don't like change at all and can some times take some time to settle into a new enclosure, with this they sleep a lot and don't eat much.

I think you'll find these really helpful http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm  and one for diet  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm have a read and any questions you have just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

#3 beccaj

beccaj

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thank you Karen, I will have a look at both of those. And yes, we have a thermometer. It is about 22 in the table but 33 under the heat lamp. Is that ok do you think?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:49 AM

Hi Becky,

Yes 32 is a good basking temperature, give him a little time to settle, just make sure your giving him a regular bath until he starts to eat. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users