7 replies to this topic

#1 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi there,

Wimble is now indoors and he burrowed down really deep on Sunday afternoon and hasn't come up since. He has spent one day burrowed before but rose the following day to eat. The substrate is nice and damp beneath the surface (like a moist towel). Does anyone think I should dig him up for a bath and to encourage him to eat a little or just leave him to it?

Any advice much appreciated

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

How old is he, if it was me I would dig him up now and give him a nice bath see if he eats, are you planning on hibernating him. :)

#3 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hiya,

He is about 16 months and won't be hibernating him this year as I only got him in June. I woke him today and bathed him, he ate a little bit then went straight back to bed Not sure if I should be waking him each day as it seems he wants to burrow and sleep most of the time now x

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

I think your doing the right thing regarding hibernation, have you checked your temperatures in your table etc, also do you have plenty of light in there as this might help, mind you young tortoises do sleep a lot and they can feel the difference in the weather. :)

#5 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

It is 30c max under his heat lamp and he has an Arcadia D3. I moved him a few weeks ago from under a window to a darker area of the room, mainly as he was next to a radiator and I didn't want it to be too hot for him once the heating comes on. Perhaps the reduction in overall light has affected him?

I guessed that he would slow down a lot as winter approaches as I have read that even when indoors torts can detect the season and even the position of the sun, but I suppose I just wasn't prepared for him to want to sleep/burrow for days at a time.

He awoke spontaneously yesterday after I bathed him the day before, then burrowed down just after lunch and hasn't woken yet today. I do want him to slow down and not eat too much but I panic haha!!

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

You can leave him next to the radiator, that's fine and might help with the overall light reduction issues. You do still need to supplement with high light levels though over winter. Start getting him up in the morning and putting him under lamps until he gets the idea.

#7 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

Unfortunately we have moved furniture around so he can't go back next to the radiator but I had thought of getting him another Arcadia lamp to boost the light and cover more of the table - would that help do you think?

I shall start getting him up each morning for a bath - we go away tomorrow for the rest of the week, fortunately my friend (who is a tort owner too) is coming to look after him and all the other animals, so she will follow my instructions to the letter

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

Unfortunately we have moved furniture around so he can't go back next to the radiator but I had thought of getting him another Arcadia lamp to boost the light and cover more of the table - would that help do you think?
I shall start getting him up each morning for a bath - we go away tomorrow for the rest of the week, fortunately my friend (who is a tort owner too) is coming to look after him and all the other animals, so she will follow my instructions to the letter

It certainly won't do any harm so long as the heat doesn't cover the entire table. 30 degrees is pretty low, so it might be better just to add another heat bulb. Any supermarket spot bulb will do, no need to spend a lot on something with a picture of a reptile on ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users