• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beccaj

beccaj

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

I hope someone can help. My 1 year old Hermann Khal Drogo, does not seem to be eating much at all. I dont know what i am doing wrong. He only weighs 36g as of last saturday and today it seems to have gone down to 35g.

I have tried him on Dandelion, clover, grass, lettuce, honeysuckle, roses, and watercress. The only thing we have seem him eat was a strawberry my daughter gave him after watching them being fed them on youtube!

He has a bath every day but has only passed urates once, his first bath. I keep his substrate damp underneath and dry on top. He has a heat lamp which heats to approx 35 in his basking spot and the rest of the table is around 18-21 degrees. 

He is active mainly in the afternoon and appears to sleep the rest of the time.

I have only had him for 2 weeks. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Becky

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

Hi Becky,

35 is a little too high it would be better if you could move the lamp up a little so you get about 32 under the lamp, also 2 weeks isn't long for him to settle you might have to give him a little longer, they do sleep a lot when their little, I wouldn't feed grass or strawberry, maybe explain to your daughter that they are no good for your tortoise, just keep up with the baths as at this time there more important than food, keep us updated. :)  

#3 beccaj

beccaj

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

Thank you Karen,. Honestly, it was easier having human babies! I feel I need constant reassurance I am not doing anything to harm him.

Becky x

#4 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about his weight. I have some yearlings ranging from 25g to 30g. I weigh them every week so I can monitor any problems. Small fluctuations can be as a result of a fully stomach or one that's been emptied.

#5 beccaj

beccaj

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

Wow, you have reassured me. I raised his lamp yesterday and this morning he seemed quite lively. I don't know if lowering the temp  a little made a difference but it was nice to see him running around today.

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hi Becky,

That's good to hear. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users