Photo
- - - - -

Desperate New Owner- Herman Won't Eat Weeds!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

We have only 1 licensed reptile vet in Croatia. Ok 2, but the one works in a shelte. I did contact her via email and am waiting for her response but my problem is the law. His previous owners didn't have cites or others papers. As an authentic specie here in Croatia, they are well protected and its a big problem to even keep them as pets. So I'm in fear of the vet inspection and taking him away. I did explain her that he was a pet for many years, probably before cites did abide and certanly before it applied in my country.

#22 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

I live in Zagreb, Croatia and our summers start in may and last until October with temperatures from 30-35 C so it is their natural enviromenlt. Days are sunny and very very hot. Even nights during summer are very hot, 25 C and up. But we did bring him inside at the end of August, just in case. I will post pictures of him and link you a video of him walking so you can see :)

Ah, well that's good, he's no need to be indoors at all. He can overwinter this year with lamps, but I'd seriously let him hibernate next year. He will be able to wind himself down outdoors, when you can move him to a safe place at 5 degrees or just cover and mark the area where he has gone down.

#23 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

We have only 1 licensed reptile vet in Croatia. Ok 2, but the one works in a shelte. I did contact her via email and am waiting for her response but my problem is the law. His previous owners didn't have cites or others papers. As an authentic specie here in Croatia, they are well protected and its a big problem to even keep them as pets. So I'm in fear of the vet inspection and taking him away. I did explain her that he was a pet for many years, probably before cites did abide and certanly before it applied in my country.

I'd not worry too much about a vet visit. Not eating is rarely a sign of illness in tortoises especially in their own country. He's likely just wanting to hibernate as he will have been used to it. Remember they go underground for months, so a few weeks isn't going to hurt so long as you keep him hydrated indoors. What is his weight and straight carapace length again? Measure in a straight line from one end of the shell to the other, not over the curve.

#24 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

I will hibernate him next year for sure, I just need to feel secure about him. Its hard to be a new owner of a reptile and I'm pretty paranoid. I tried to be accurate as I possible could be and would say 14.9 cm (probably 14.8 but just to be sure) and 644 g. Sometimes he is 5,6 g heavier maybe because of hydration levels? I always freak out when I see 650 g and then after 10 days its 640:o

#25 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

I did weight him today and it showed 670 g. But he didn't poop since saturday. Yesterday he ate a calendula flower and some lettuce (just to make him go poo poo :D). I soak him everyday to keep him hydrated. And we're building his much bigger enclousure tomorrow so I'll send you pics :).

#26 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

The thing is, it can take a month for good to pass through the gut of a tortoise this size, so if empty, it's going to be some time before the glower and lettuce pass through. They don't work in the same way as mammals, bring temperature dependant. They also eat poop, so you might miss this. Either way, don't worry so long as he is active and hydrated. Again, temperature helps with activity as well as appetite. Good luck :)

#27 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

We made his much bigger encloudire this saturday. It is 7 ft 4 ft and 35 cm height. Maybe not ideal but it took half of my room and he seems really happy :D. He ate yesterday twice! Dandelions plantain a bunch of it. He also ate today. So you were right, of course, his previous enclousure wad too small and maybe the temperature gradient wasn't working. We're still adding some final details so I''ll post pics :). Thank you so much!

#28 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

No problem, always someone here to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users