• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

Hope this works I've just tried to post this so apologies if it goes on twice! I've just come down.to put the tortoise lights on and the basking one has died! Am.i right in thinking I don't have to buy a special one, it's a household bulb I can replace with, it's one in a desk lamp from a tortoise shop I don't want to talk about! 😐
I will be going straight from the school run for a bulb so hope someone is around to answer me! Many thanks
Have attached pic to clarify,

Attached Files

#2 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hi! I am a new owner so I'm not sure this is correct but I read online and some people use regular house bulbs (jellow light) which givd the heat. You probably shoud use 50w bulb or even 100w depending on your lamp :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

Hope this works I've just tried to post this so apologies if it goes on twice! I've just come down.to put the tortoise lights on and the basking one has died! Am.i right in thinking I don't have to buy a special one, it's a household bulb I can replace with, it's one in a desk lamp from a tortoise shop I don't want to talk about!
I will be going straight from the school run for a bulb so hope someone is around to answer me! Many thanks
Have attached pic to clarify,

Hi Charlotte,

Sorry I might be too late but yes a household spot bulb will work just fine for heat, is the other bulb in the picture your uv bulb. :)

#4 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

Yes that's my Uv bulb, it was all sold to me together. Thanks both for your replies, my 8 year old managed to 'fix ' it,I'm thinking he might have moved something that I didn't, either I was being really stupid or my partner said the bulb etc could be on its way out so will replace anyway. So, I didn't need to buy another today, it's only been used for 3 months so shouldn't technically need replacing yet should it?

#5 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

It depends on the working hours. Check on the packaging, should be listed how many hours it has. Or google it :)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

Yes that's my Uv bulb, it was all sold to me together. Thanks both for your replies, my 8 year old managed to 'fix ' it,I'm thinking he might have moved something that I didn't, either I was being really stupid or my partner said the bulb etc could be on its way out so will replace anyway. So, I didn't need to buy another today, it's only been used for 3 months so shouldn't technically need replacing yet should it?

The uv bulb you have there is not very good unless it has a reflector. Even then this type is not recommended as it covers a very small area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users