4 replies to this topic

#1 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

Since becoming a tort owner I have let a few areas of the garden get weedy. I have been able to feed a good selection between wild weed expeditions, dandelion, sow thistle, creeping thistle, clover and shepherds purse are still growing well in my back garden. But as the season has changed I have noticed some other weeds appear and despite scouring the tortoise table website I still can't identify them, so I wondered if anyone could help. These pictures were taken a few minutes ago, sadly none of the plants are flowering.

image_zpsplzg6xwg.jpeg

Two different weeds in this image

image_zpskoprulqk.jpeg

I thought this one was Pennyroyal and therefore not safe but it doesn't have the minty smell so I wondered if it could be something else?

Any help much appreciated

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

The weed in the 1st picture on the left looks like ragwort which is highly toxic.  http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=249, im not to sure of the one in the 2nd picture hopefully someone else will know. :)

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

The second one looks very much like willow herb to me, but it's a bit young to make a positive ID just yet. If it is, it can be very invasive and hard to control, and I'd advise you to dig it up before it takes hold. Torts can eat them in moderation, but it's not an ideal food. I won't have it in Harry's enclosure.

#4 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

Thanks folks, I'll be burning them off tomorrow

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

Second one looks like land cress which is fine. Third one is young forget me nots, also fine but if left will flower and multiply in the spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users