Jump to content


Tortoise Vet.

prolapse vet penis

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mandy


    Tortoise Forum Newby

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hi, I know that this may be a long shot, but does anyone know of a good vet in the Sunderland Tyne & wear area?  my 7 year old tortoise seemed to have something hanging as he was walking, I rang around some local vets after hearing good reviews, and found one who said that they treat tortoises. however, after a consulatation and two treatments for a prolapsed penis, (the vet sedated him, and pushed it back inside his body, but it just came back out when he recovered from anasthetic) sorry to be graphic! She told me that she didn't know what to do, and after numerous unreturned phone calls she finally gave me the number of a vet miles from where I live with no means of getting there. at the moment I am soaking him in warm water daily, and giving him vitamin drops in his water daily as the vet instructed. but he needs to be seen by a professional.
any advice would be very much appreciated.

#2 wizzasmum


    Advanced Tortoise Member

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Shropshire/Welsh Borders
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Greyhound rescue

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hi Mandy
Karen the admin has a brilliant vet who you could get to from where you are. I will text her if she's not seen this. One of my own torts had this problem and had it removed, sounds horrific, but a very simple op for a tort and he was walking around and eating the next day. Don't just soak him daily, he needs to be on damp towels permanently until you can get him help. If it dries out it will become necrotic, which will even make the amputation more difficult. Vitamin drops won't help but glucose or sugar will. You can sprinkle sugar directly onto the penis( no rude comments please anyone). Hope this helps.

#3 mildredsmam


    Advanced Tortoise Member

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:north east

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi Mandy,

I use a vet called Tom at Jacqui Patterson vets, hopefully he's not too far for you as he is brilliant, make sure you ask for him, here's the details.


Jacqui Paterson
Address: Sopwith Cl, Stockton-on-Tees TS18 3TT
Phone:01642 604555

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prolapse, vet, penis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users