• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1988

Rachel1988

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hello, just a quick one (I'm a newbie by the way, I did introduce myself in one of the other forums, owner of two 4 month old Hermann's -Flash and Lizzie) and it may be daft so I am sorry in advance!

I worry about the tortoises flipping over, particularly under their light, so just wondering if I should leave their light on or not when out? So far I haven't actually been out for particularly long since having them (just the school run and quick nip to shop etc) so have been switiching it off before I leave and turning it back on when I am back. I still ensure they are having approx. 10 hours of light a day. Just wondering in case I am out all day, what do I do?

Again apologies because I am sure this is a silly question. I can't neglect them of their lighting but I worry they will flip whilst out and could come to some harm or worse if it is for a sustained period of time. They have flipped over once or twice and don't know how to correct themselves as yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Rachel :-)

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

To be honest, they know how to correct themselves from first hatching unless they have a genetic problem, but if the breeder or owner constantly does it for them, they get lazy and don't try. I don't switch my lights off, or they would be off more than they are on lol. Make sure substrate is damp which makes it easier to turn back, don't put objects under the lamp and at most reduce the basking temps when going out, but don't switch them off, this can be unsettling for them, they will think night is coming and then it's not. How long do you leave them upside down for?

#3 Rachel1988

Rachel1988

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

It's only Lizzie so far that has flipped over and she does have a few genetic problems, her shell isn't formed properly, so I have flipped her back over as soon as I have found her on her back. Once I had been out for about an hour amd found her flipped over So have no idea how long she was like it for. I have a combi bulb for them, so how do I reduce the temps? Would I need to buy some sort of thermostat or something? The bulb is in a fixed position. I wouldn't be able to raise it to reduce temps without a screwdriver and s lot of faffing! Substrate is damp and no objects beneath lamp although I do vary the gradient of substrate to produce hills and dips, I'd read this can aid them in correcting themselves if they had flipped, as well as exercise and interest. I'm just petrified they (mainly Lizzie) will be on their back and under the lamp all day! I'd also read that being on their back particularly for a sustained period of time whether under the lamp or not can be dangerous because it puts pressure on their lungs and other organs and the stomach can twist, not sure hiw correct that is though?

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

You alter the temps by adjusting the height of the bulb, so an adjustable stand would be needed. Not sure who invented the story of the twisted stomach, but it's certainly something I've never heard of or experienced. They can stay upside down for days and in the wild they do, when the only danger is predators or dehydration.

#5 Rachel1988

Rachel1988

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

That does make perfect sense! Thank you for the advice! Will just have to get over my fears! X

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

That does make perfect sense! Thank you for the advice! Will just have to get over my fears! X

They will be fine, but do resist the urge to help them every time as they need to learn how to do it fir themselves. What genetic problems does the little one have?

#7 Rachel1988

Rachel1988

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

I think we may have chatted when I posted in the 'Introduce yourself' forum. Lizzie has a misformed shell. She was born like it. As opposed to it being domed nicely, it dips slightly in at the middle front and back and her shell is generally quite flat. Saying that, she is the most active out of the two and is very fast!! Yes shall try and resist the urge. Think I would be nore inclined to leave Flash for longer than Lizzie though, I think the shape of her shell could prevent her from being able to correct herself.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:28 PM

I think we may have chatted when I posted in the 'Introduce yourself' forum. Lizzie has a misformed shell. She was born like it. As opposed to it being domed nicely, it dips slightly in at the middle front and back and her shell is generally quite flat. Saying that, she is the most active out of the two and is very fast!! Yes shall try and resist the urge. Think I would be nore inclined to leave Flash for longer than Lizzie though, I think the shape of her shell could prevent her from being able to correct herself.

That's possibly the problem, but if she is active, she will learn eventually I'm sure, given lots of things to grab hold of as it were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users