• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kimbly

kimbly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hi I have just bought my first ever tortoise and already I am worrying, I only got him yesterday. He went to bed at about 8pm and I got him up at 3 pm and put him under his lamp and is quite active now, did I do the right thing or should I have left him?. Also he has not eaten yet he has his food and some rocket and watercress, is it because it is all new to him?. I have bought the complete set up for him and it is all been set up properly and he has everything he needs. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks 

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hi and welcome to the group. It's very early days yet. I would just keep getting him up in the morning and leave him to it until he settles in. Make sure he is well hydrated and eventually he will start to eat. Did you get him from a breeder, as home bred tortoises generally settle quicker than imported ones? What is his setup ie temps, substrate, diet etc? You say food, if this is dried food it's not really a good diet for tortoises, so best stick to the fresh stuff. Hope this helps.

#3 kimbly

kimbly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hi thanks for the welcome. I am feeding him  natural grassland tortoise food mashed up with water and sprinkle a little nutrobal on top, I have given him  rocket,  watercress and a dandelion leaf.

Hi if you have already been sent the other part of this sorry usually use a tablet not used to lap top. If not thank you for replying. I am feeding him Natural Grassland Tortoise food which I mix with water, I also sprinkle Nutrobal on top, he is also getting rocket, watercress and a dandelion leaf. His substrate is dark brown bigger than sand not as fine {sorry cant remember the name} The temp is about 85 -90. I got him from a pet shop who deal with exotic pets. the man came and put the tortoise table up for me and he has a very good reputation so knew that I was getting a healthy tortoise. Hi lamp is on a timer and is on 12 hours a day, he also has a cuttle shell. Hope this gives you an idea so worried I am doing something wrong. Kind regards Kim   

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:36 AM

Hi Kim, welcome to the forum. :)

I would stop feeding the grassland tortoise food, or any other dried food and try and stick to a natural diet of weeds and plants you might find this helpful  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm , there's still plenty of weeds around at the minute. :)

As Sue has already said keep giving him regular baths, and he'll settle in time. :)

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

Agree with Karen, I'd bin the dried stuff, it will make him grow unnaturally fast and most likely with deformity so that can't be rectified sadly. The problem with reptile shops is that they don't have the animals long enough to see the harm they are doing, plus they obviously make money from selling unnecessary stuff. Hopefully when the setup was done, the temp variation was good and humidity looked into too. This can make all the difference between him settling quickly and taking much longer. I'd def only offer fresh food though as he doesn't need dietary problems at such an early stage.

#6 kimbly

kimbly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hi thanks for that will stop feeding him the pellets. He is quite active though, also can I pick your brains how often should I bath him have read so many different things, once a day, twice a day, once a week etc really don't wont to do it wrong as he is so cute and deserves me to treat him well. Many thanks x   

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:02 AM

Try to think what they would have in the wild. In nature they dig down deep overnight to conserve moisture. They don't get bathed, but hold onto urine to maintain hydration. When kept indoors, humidity is naturally low, so you either have to increase this in their habitat by watering or make sure substrate is very deep to prevent dehydration. My little ones have access to water but I don't actually bathe them that often. If your tort is drinking deeply when you bathe him then it's a good idea to increase his humidity in the habitat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Herman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users