1 reply to this topic

#1 Wuuu

Wuuu

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hiya,

After the sad passing of Sheldon in June, I replaced him with a marginated tortoise named Vinnie. Sheldon expelled urate as soon as I got him in the bath but I've had Vinnie for a few months now and I've never noticed any urates in his daily soak, water dish or enclosure. He hatched on 1st June 2015 and I got him in July. He is pooping and weeing everyday and poop is nice and firm. He has a mixed diet of weeds, flowers and crispy mix and his food is dusted daily with Nutrobal. I know it's expelling uric acid but is it something to be concerned about that I've never found any? His bedding is a soil and coir mix kept moist and his temperatures are 30-32 at basking end to room temp at the other end in central heated room. He seems healthy and active and is gaining weight and size well. Thanks

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

Urates are not always a big part of urine/faeces. It depends on hydration? A tortoise that is dehydrated will have a lack of urates as a bladder stone will be forming. A tortoise that is super hydrated will also not show a lot of urates as it will be less noticeable in larger volumes of urine. So long as it is liquid when it does show, it's fine. If you never see any, then it might be worth having him checked out. Did you get him from a breeder? He was very young, experienced breeders don't usually part with them at a few weeks of age. Just wondering how hydrated they were when going to new homes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users