• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimbly

kimbly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

I have read so many conflicting things about how many times a week to bath my little tortoise. From twice a day to every day, once a week, twice a week etc . Really could use your input. Thanks Kim  

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:50 AM

Hi Kim,

I bath my hatchlings most days to keep them well hydrated, the adults less, but also I do make sure their substrate isn't too dry by watering it regular so it's moist as this helps as well. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

I have read so many conflicting things about how many times a week to bath my little tortoise. From twice a day to every day, once a week, twice a week etc . Really could use your input. Thanks Kim

I bathe mine very infrequently as I keep humidity up in all areas but the basking area. They do have access to water but rarely use it, just like wild torts. Deep substrate means they don't dehydrate, the same as wild ones. If you are going to use shallow substrate indoors though, then you have to compensate for lack of humidity by bathing as Karen says. If your tort rarely drinks in the bath then your humidity is good, but if it drinks every time, then you need to increase humidity. Humid soil, also gives good smooth shell growth too.
I never bathe my adult torts or any that are outdoors, but they do have access to fresh water at all times if they need it 😉

#4 kimbly

kimbly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thank you so much for the advice it really is reassuring to ask people who care about tortoises and so helpful. So I will go and give him a bath and moisten his substrate. I am sure I will be asking more questions but once again thank you. Kim xxx    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Herman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users