• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi , we have had Leonardo since Wednesday. I'm a little worried as he doesn't want to eat . When we first put him in his new home he ate everything the weeds etc . Yesterday had a little nibble then that was it. Today not interested either. Is this him just settling in? Today he's been under lamp for 5 hours now gone back to bed. I'm just not sure if this is normal . He's 1 yrs old. Maybe I'm worrying to much it's like having a new born .😃

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to the world of tortoises :) It's most likely he is just settling in, especially if you had him from a breeder. If from a commercial outlet then the stress of various moves can mean it is more likely that illness can be brought to the surface. Can you tell us more about how you are keeping him, temps, substrate, lighting etc. This will help to see if a change of his habitat might help.

#3 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Hi, he lives in a table top house. Lighting is a two in 1 have it on for 12 hrs. 100 watt . The temp under bulb is 34c. The substrate is Aspen it came part of the house. Also what my friends use. In his bed area he has readigrass which he loves to hide right under. We got him from a reptile centre. We just couldn't leave him when we saw him , he was kept in a glass vivarium and I felt awful. Wanted to bring them all home but obviously can't. He's pooed, and bathed yesterday and today . Then goes straight back to bed. I would send picks not sure how on here.

#4 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

This is his homeAttached File  image.jpg   55.11KB   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   55.11KB   2 downloads

Attached Files

#5 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

Here's another

#6 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Sorry there is repeats have no idea what doing .

Attached Files

#7 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

This is Leonardo on first day eating all his food 😃

Attached Files

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Hi Leonardo, welcome to the forum.  :)

Tortoises don't like change and can take some time to settle into a new home, more so as Sue has said when their from pet shops as they've been moved around a lot.

34 is a little too hot for your basking temperature, I would try and put the lamp up a little so your getting more 31/ 32 if it's too hot for the tortoise then it will hide away in the same way if it's too cold, your set up looks nice but isn't really suitable, with it having the upper level the lower one will be too dark tortoises need plenty of light as well as heat etc, also it doesn't look very big, they need a large area so they have room to have a walk about and have different temperatures in there.

Aspen bedding also isn't the best, you would be better with topsoil or coco coir as this stays more moist, aspen is really dry and too high temperatures and dry bedding could cause dehydration, also they don't need any form of bedding just soil in their sleeping area, readigrass is more for grass eating species like leopards etc, sorry to sound negative im only trying to give you friendly advice so you have a happy little tortoise. :)

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Sorry there is repeats have no idea what doing .

It's ok the forum double posts the odd time, we just remove them. :)

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hi Leonardo, welcome to the forum.  :)
Tortoises don't like change and can take some time to settle into a new home, more so as Sue has said when their from pet shops as they've been moved around a lot.
34 is a little too hot for your basking temperature, I would try and put the lamp up a little so your getting more 31/ 32 if it's too hot for the tortoise then it will hide away in the same way if it's too cold, your set up looks nice but isn't really suitable, with it having the upper level the lower one will be too dark tortoises need plenty of light as well as heat etc, also it doesn't look very big, they need a large area so they have room to have a walk about and have different temperatures in there.
Aspen bedding also isn't the best, you would be better with topsoil or coco coir as this stays more moist, aspen is really dry and too high temperatures and dry bedding could cause dehydration, also they don't need any form of bedding just soil in their sleeping area, readigrass is more for grass eating species like leopards etc, sorry to sound negative im only trying to give you friendly advice so you have a happy little tortoise. :)

I agree with Karen re the enclosure and the substrate. A larger wider area is more consistent with how tortoises live and thermoregulate. They can't do this when stacked hamster fashion. Also, you need to change to a substrate that can be watered. Aspen is not suitable and will draw moisture from your tortoises shelled and make it pyramid, rather than growing smoothly. The surface of the shell should be smooth like an egg, aspen will make it grow in a stacked fashion which is irreversible. Don't worry, if you follow the advice here and on other well known forums, you will get your tortoise to settle and grow correctly. Are you soaking him regularly as this is very important as dehydration is the biggest killer. This is how I keep mine www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm

#11 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi,
It's all so confusing , so many people say different things. I am going to change to topsoil asap. As for space it's really big I don't think the pictures do it justice. It's bigger than some people have on here. I welcome any advice , so thank you very much for being honest. Leonardo is going to be with us for a long time so want to do everything right. I have bathed him everyday but the the first to encourage weeing . Just to let you he is eating . This makes me so happy . Thank you both again x

#12 Leonardo

Leonardo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

Yeah , so happy he's eating 😃

Attached Files

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

[quote name="Leonardo" post="65152" timestamp="1447500638"]Hi,
It's all so confusing , so many people say different things. I am going to change to topsoil asap. As for space it's really big I don't think the pictures do it justice. It's bigger than some people have on here. I welcome any advice , so thank you very much for being honest. Leonardo is going to be with us for a long time so want to do everything right. I have bathed him everyday but the the first to encourage weeing . Just to let you he is eating . This makes me so happy . Thank you both again x[/quo

The net can be very confusing, with advice from experienced keepers and breeders, to shop advise ( usually really bad) to beginners passing on second hand info without really having first hand experience. I always say that if you are unsure, always think of what a wild tortoise would have, they are ground dwellers and don't adapt well to tiered habitats for many reasons, mainly because a tortoise like wide open spaces with the option to dig down into deep solid soil if necessary and not climbing unless to escape from some area it has fallen into. I would say a minimum length of habitat for hatchlings is a metre X 75 cms. This obviously needs to be made larger as he grows. Yours looks to be older/larger. Tortoises will pace the edges of an enclosure that is too small or dig in and hide away. When my babies go to new homes, I discourage people from getting these two tier habitats and when they go ahead anyway, they always contact me later to say they have changed things. Tortoises need maximum light levels as well as heat to encourage activity. Too little natural light even in a warm habitat will often result in a sick tortoise. If you bought your setup from the same place as the tortoise I would seriously consider changing it. The shop have a legal obligation to do this as it's not fit for purpose. Always remember a tortoise is essentially a wild animal, so we have to look at what is right for them rather than what is appealing to the human eye ;) Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users