• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Just a quick question. Veras been in hibernation for a week now. She started at 1222g and is now 1217g, I'm putting it down to the fact that it's the box method and it's been around 11 degrees. The temps are lowering now thankfully, at around 8 degrees. She was still semi active. Is it still okay for her to be hibernating. Cheers everyone :)

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

Hi
Yes its totally normal for a tortoise to loose a little weight at the begining of hibernation as can take a fair while for them to settle down so its fine!as tempts drop like you say will soon settle down! I use the guidelines of if a tort is loosing towards 10% of it start hibernation weight then id worry so at 1222g,122gs is where it would get dangerous!
Regards matt

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

To be honest ive never had a tort loose anywhere near 10% of body weight so unless conditions ie humidity and temperatures were awful then i cant see how this could happen

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

You are right Matt, even if they urinate it won't be anywhere near to 10%. I do think this advise is quite outdated, even though I still use it when advising the dangers. As you say, if this happens something is going seriously wrong. I have never heard of a self hibernating tortoise losing more than a few grams, which proves the hydration theory. Last year I hibernated all my torts in deep soil and there was very little weight loss, so obviously doing the same thing from now on. Hibernation is always scary, but as with all things chelonian, as close to nature as we can get gets my thumbs up every time ;)

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hit the nail on the head there Sue :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users