5 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

After a month of wind down for 9 year old buttercup she has gone into her insulated cottage outside for hibernation . Unfortunately the weather is mild and the temperature inside the cottage is showing too high . She does not seem to be settling or digging down. What do I do and any suggestions for keeping it cooler

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

Can you tell us what you mean by her cottage. Is this an insulated box within a building, underground etc ? If the temps are above normal hibernation temps then she won't settle, whatever the time of year. Is she well hydrated and did you weigh her prior to and after wind down? What substrate are you using for Buttercup?

#3 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

It is a purpose built tortoise house fully insulated . It is deep but not underground and to be kept outside. I can bring it into a garage if necessary . She was bathed most days during wind down and yes weighed. I am using a mix of shredded paper and compost . It has gone much colder today but still not digging down . I'm doing my best for her as this year a fridge is not an option. We are in the process of moving house and hopefully next year will have more space

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

I'm not sure how this can work to be honest as when the temps finally drop, it will be impossible to keep temps stable in a box no matter how well insulated unless you have an insulated room or area. Even taking it into a garage will not ensure she won't freeze. Being cold blooded tortoises take up the temperature of the air around them, which is why fridges work so well. If the air freezes then tort will too, even with insulation. Sorry if I read this wrongly. You could bury the box underground in a dry area, which would work if protected from above.

#5 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

I have taken your advice and have given up on the box method. I will put her in the salad section of my fridge. It is a seperate area and I have been monitoring the temperature today and it's showing 5.8 . When we move in december we will have to transfer her with us !

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling