Supplements For A Complete Beginner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:I am currently a sales administrator with a passion for animals.
    I studied 2 years of animal care at college then went on to do a HNC in animal management.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

Hi 

I will be picking up my new 3 month old Hermann tortoise next week. I am so excited but panicking at the same time. 

I keep seeing all sorts of supplements available, limestone powder, calcium powder, nutrobol, cuttlefish ect. 

What do I actually need??? 

I understand that calcium is essential but doesn't nutrobol contain calcium? But amounts also depened on housing. 

I think I am going crazy LOL  :blush:

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

#2 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

Lots of people know more than I do about this but I've been told that neckton is better than nutrobol. Molly has a little sprinkle on a wet plantain leaf every morning and cuttlefish to nibble on. Someone else will tell you what's in it. Think it's vitD3. It seems like a minefield at 1st.;-)

#3 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts
    I studied 2 years of animal care at college then went on to do a HNC in animal management.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

That's brilliant, I've never heard of Neckton before but after a google search a lot of people seem to prefer it to nutrobol 

I think i'll just get neckton, calcium powder and cuttlefish and if anyone think I need anything else I can order again later. 

I've never been so relived to have a garden full of weeds since deciding to get a tortoise, now I have an excuse  :laugh:

Thank you for your help. 

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hi 

I will be picking up my new 3 month old Hermann tortoise next week. I am so excited but panicking at the same time. 

I keep seeing all sorts of supplements available, limestone powder, calcium powder, nutrobol, cuttlefish ect. 

What do I actually need??? 

I understand that calcium is essential but doesn't nutrobol contain calcium? But amounts also depened on housing. 

I think I am going crazy LOL  :blush:

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Hi,

I use Nekton msa and have done for some years, I find it a lot better than nutrobal, I also have limestone flour, i don't use cuttlefish at all. :)

#5 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

Thanks Karen I'll add limestone flour to my shopping list, you can never have enough supplements
I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

That's brilliant, I've never heard of Neckton before but after a google search a lot of people seem to prefer it to nutrobol 
I think i'll just get neckton, calcium powder and cuttlefish and if anyone think I need anything else I can order again later. 
I've never been so relived to have a garden full of weeds since deciding to get a tortoise, now I have an excuse  :laugh:

Thank you for your help.

Nekton MSA has proved with most keepers to be the best in recent years. Has your breeder not given you a care plan for your tortoise so that you have everything ready beforehand, most do? Don't just ask for Nekton or you may end up with bird supplement, you must ask for MSA. Don't sprinkle Nekton and calcium on together, this could overdose the calcium side of things. Offer calcium in the form of limestone flour in a little dish (or heap if outdoors) so the tortoise can help itself if deficient. Cuttlefish is quite high in phosphorous, so I wouldn't personally add this as well, there is only so much calcium the kidneys can deal with. Overdosing can be as bad as not dosing at all ;) Has your breeder advised on housing at all?

#7 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

Thank you, i think I've ordered the right stuff  :)

No, i haven't received a care plan but I haven't exactly told her I am a newbie at this, she has asked me what uv/heat I have got but we have only messaged a few times. 

She hasn't advised on housing but I am quit confident I have the right set up. 

I have a 90x60x14.5cm tortoise table with large house but will get a bigger size once the tortoise is a bit bigger. 

I have the Arcadia D3 160w bulb and 200mm Arcadia holder ( I feel I may have gone overboard with the 160w but I will either have to raise it higher than planned or buy a 100w one). 

Top soil for substrate, which i believe watering with a jug around the edges of the vivarium produces more humidity? but how often? 

I have ordered tortoise weed seeds, some dried food (flowers & weeds) just in case, the nekton, calcium powder and cuttlefish, but I doubt i will give him the cuttlefish now.

What is the difference between limestone flour and calcium powder?

I have also took pictures of the weeds in my garden which I hope someone on here can id some for next week in preparation but i won't bore you with them  :)

The tortoise table isn't completely set up yet as I didn't want to be too eager but I will post pictures over the weekend just so I know it will be okay. 

Honestly if anything sounds at all wrong with my set up i'll happily change it, i'd rather get it right now whilst the new addition isn't here. 

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

Yes I would go for the 100 watt, 160 watt will cover too large an area if the bulb is raised. I only use these for habitats larger than 150 cms or so. Watering needs to be done often enough to keep the base damp but the top drier. This is so that when they dig in for the night it's better than hiding in a hide and assists smooth growth. Limestone flour is pure calcium carbonate. Other calcium a are on sale but beware of eBay sellers who don't usually have any qualifications in animal nutrition. There are Facebook sellers selling stuff they have formulated themselves so please beware of these as they can be dangerous to tortoise health. I'd get the table up and running now if I was you as it could take time to get it right. Photos are welcome too, as best to get it right now, before torts arrives ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users