• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Acox6701

Acox6701

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hello, I'm new to the group :) my partner has recently adopted my beautiful tort George he's less than a year old (i think) and he's just perfect!!

I'm just wanting a bit of advice really about him. We've brought the entire starter set up for him. Good bowl water bowl, bedding, 100w uv tube light,, 75w heat lamp for basking. The momentum which sits just in the red zone directly under the light. We've added a slate slab in the enclouse for him to walk on to keep his claws down. Also he's got a plant pot in two halves in they with him one in the basking area and one in the shaded area. And also a little fake plant for him to crawl under. He seems to be settled he has a little wander around his enclosure and climbs on his plant pots. He has the habit of crawling into the corners of the pen and just keeps digging or he goes to sleep there. Is the normal! Also I think he sleep crawls again is this normal? I've recently changed the floor form a sandy mixture.. (Can't remember the name of it) to one that looks like pellets as I thought it was irritating his eyes as the seem to swell shut sometimes was I right in doing this?

I'm feeding him a mixture of dandelions and carrot with calcium powder at the moment. I've tried spinach but he ignored this so I'm assuming he doesn't like it as I've put it in several times and he just ignores it. I've also given him a bit of strawberry on just on occasion as the shop said not to give him fruit more than once a month.

Is there anything else anyone could recommend to feed George? I've read loads of conflicting information about what I can and can't give him so it's made me a bit paranoid about what to give him.

I also try and bathe him a few times a week just for about 10minutes each time. He passes urates whilst bathing but he's never opened his Bowels. Again is this normal? I've read that they are supposed to open there bowels whilst bathing but he never seems to. He does poo whilst in his enclosure and it is cleaned up as soon as its spotted.

Sorry for all the questions in just really nervous About making sure he grows up happy and healthy :) thanks!!

#2 Acox6701

Acox6701

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

Just a few images to add the first is his original set up then some pictures of George then what his setup looks like now :) Attached File  image.jpeg   38.55KB   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   25.19KB   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   44.97KB   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   34.63KB   1 downloads

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

Welcome to the world of tortoises, they are fascinating creatures. Please don't take it the wrong way, but there's a lot you need to change. I'm guessing all of your advice has been pet shop advice. Always think of the wild when in doubt, so, no red lights as they need lots of very bright light to mimic the sun. Use soil for his substrate or damp coir or tortoise life. Never use sand as it causes impaction, but equally, don't use pellets as these are made from alfalfa or corn, which is high protein and will damage the kidneys if eaten. It's the same with food, think of the wild, so no carrots and definitely no fruit of any type. Fruit will upset the gut flora and make worms thrive. You don't need a food bowl as tortoises need to exercise in search of food. Spread it around in different places for him. Spinach is very bad for them as it is very high in oxalic acid which prevents calcium being absorbed to the bones. It could be he is dehydrated which is why he is not pooping, but then he could equally be eating it. Tortoises don't open their bowels daily like other animals, it takes a long time to come through the other end after eating, sometimes weeks if they are empty. Your tortoise looks a lot older than a year, what does he weigh? His papers should say what age he is. Be careful with fake plants they are not really suitable for tortoises as they will try to eat them. You also need to remove the slate from under the lamp as this can cause serious burns to the plastron.
Sorry this sounds so negative, it's obviously the fault of the seller.
This is how I keep mine www.tortsmad.com

#4 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

http://m.thetortoise...m/plants_19.asp

Good link for suitable plants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New, Tort, Feed advice, Advice needed, Bedding, New owner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users