• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

Wanted to see what they get up to in the day so took a time lapse. it runs fron 7:15am to 05:00pm.

Looks like Wilma is mainly trying to escape or hiding (no eating). and Fred is a lazy bully. he seems to be mounting the other 2 and chasing them around. Not sure if this is normal or not?

Betty seems to be the most active exploring all over and eating.

I am a bit worried that Wilma is mainly hiding and not eating. I have not seen her eat for at least 5 days. Maybe she has a strong urge to hibinate but we dont plan on doing it this year (not done it before and probably too late now?).

#2 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

Great video. I also have a time lapse camera. Use it in spring to monitor my females during egg laying.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

It's great to be able to see what they've been up to all day, I only had time to watch a bit, with Fred it's likely a dominance thing he's showing the other's who's boss you just need to keep an eye on this as he could be stressing the others out, this could be the reason that Wilma is hiding a lot and not eating.

It's not too late to hibernate my hatchlings will be hibernating through Jan/ feb, but im not sure how long you've had these torts etc. :)

#4 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:10 AM

Love the cuttlefish moving about on its own. Ha ha, maybe there's something we need to know about the secret life of cuttlefish!!

#5 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

It's great to be able to see what they've been up to all day, I only had time to watch a bit, with Fred it's likely a dominance thing he's showing the other's who's boss you just need to keep an eye on this as he could be stressing the others out, this could be the reason that Wilma is hiding a lot and not eating.

It's not too late to hibernate my hatchlings will be hibernating through Jan/ feb, but im not sure how long you've had these torts etc. :)

We are moving house at the moment most likely happen early Jan so if they are hibenanting it will be even more stressfull we will definately hibenate them next year though.

We have had Fred for around 18 months, Betty for a few months less and Wilma for maybe 2 or 3 months.

I have only just found this site and I now realise we have been doing things all wrong and feel bad for Fred and Betty. Fred has a lumpy shell and Betty is getting that way too. Now I know the error of our ways we will give them all they need. Unfortunately pet shop sold us the tort and a viv setup which is far from ideal and no advice although we did buy a book too so food has at least been right except the pellets they sold us!!!

#6 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

Great video. I also have a time lapse camera. Use it in spring to monitor my females during egg laying.

I used my action cam.

#7 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

changed the substrate from tortoise life (50/50 topsoil/play sand) to Coir. Wow that stuff holds its moisture well.

Wilma was very active first day eating weeds and salad but today she dug in and stayed buried all day long under the spot light. I got her out in the evening and she went off into a hide. I think she has a strong urge to hibernate?!?! she is from a different shop to the other 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users