• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

I wanted to get some seeds for natural weeds and read about "the tortoise lady's mix" sold by Herbiseed and thought yay. I couldnt find a way of ordering on their website so was about to email them when I found this so are there any other suppliers out there?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:23 AM

Yes, very unfortunate. It does not however mean that the tladys mix has anything wrong with them. Lin King formulated that mix after years of research and I would still recommend the mix over any alternative by people who are not qualified to do so. There are many eBay sellers, who sell mixes in incorrect formulas and others who make up mixes of dried foods. I personally would avoid all of these. Many of them actually contain toxic plants which will affect tortoises where they will not affect humans and vice versa. Lin has just had a book published which I will put a link to when it is available. This has been in the making for some time and will make tortoise food choice much more reliable as it is aimed specifically at tortoises and does not relate to toxicity in humans etc.

#3 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

I have ordered from tortoiselady.co.uk

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

That's not the same person. It's up to you, but I'd not use that mix. It contains several species that are totally unsuitable for tortoises and which if fed alone can actually cause harm.

#5 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Oh dear. Why is there so much misinformation out there. She says 20yrs rescuing torts etc etc. How about the massive list of weeds for ok and not ok in her site?

#6 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

I was going to print the list of safe weeds from her site so the kids could come weed collecting. Now I am back to only trusting dandelion? I know supermarket salad is not great but what choice does the normal owner have? Lambs lettuce, rocket and cucumber is safe right?

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Oh dear. Why is there so much misinformation out there. She says 20yrs rescuing torts etc etc. How about the massive list of weeds for ok and not ok in her site?

I wouldn't like to comment on a public forum about any one specific seller, but it's always worth asking first how qualified a person is re tortoise nutrition. I took on an elderly adult female which had been in a family for forty years, she was slowing down, presumed due to age. A few years later on a varied diet she started to lay eggs, so just showing that any amount of time does not mean a diet is correct. Remember that anyone can compile a list of toxic and non toxic plants, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are spot on for a specific species ;) Remember too, that because a supplier does something wrong, does not mean that a specific mix has anything wrong with it. The Tlady mix was formulated by Linda King who has researched Med torts diets for many years alongside the tortoise trust and her seed mix is the only one recommended by them. This is her book of recommended food http://www.tlady.clara.net/id16.htm I'm guessing the seeds you ordered are already mixed, so you will need to be careful which ones you feed when they do come up.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

I was going to print the list of safe weeds from her site so the kids could come weed collecting. Now I am back to only trusting dandelion? I know supermarket salad is not great but what choice does the normal owner have? Lambs lettuce, rocket and cucumber is safe right?

Your first instincts were correct............tlady mix is an excellent formulation. The plants grown from that mix are mentioned on www.tortoises.net just not the formulation. This is where so many ebay type mixes go wrong. The sellers have no idea what proportions to use and there are no laws to say that they can't do whatever they like. Lin makes NO money from the sale of herbiseed mix, it's purely for the tortoises. If you use a good mix of seeds and feed these throughout the season, it will still be a better bet than feeding some of the imitation mixes out there. If you do use supermarket salad, use Florette CRISPY as this has the best mix, compared to those that contain carrot, beets, spinach etc.

#9 gregorious77

gregorious77

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

We normally buy salad sold separately so lambs lettuce, rocket and watercress. we make sure any mixed bags have no spinach.

Just got reply from Herbiseed with a link to the order page so I can get some good weeds. We are moving house in the new year and I want to set up a quality outdoor environment for the torts to use in the summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users