Scared Of Killing My Tortoise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novice

novice

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren. Knitting either for charity or family.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi to anyone reading this. I've inherited a 37 year old Hermann from my mother but I don't really know what I'm doing. I've been reading loads over the last month and now feel confused

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

There's is a lot of conflicting advice out there, you'll get good friendly advice here, so any questions you have just ask were happy to help. :)

#3 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

Yep, you just think you've got it sorted and someone comes up with something else to think about. I'm new too, so I stick to advice from 1 good source. This site, and its moderators. I listen to others for ideas but run stuff by my 1 source before doing anything. There are alot of 'opinions' out there, but experienced breeders are the ones to believe. But that's only my opinion;-)

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. I was in the same position as yourself some years ago, and found this forum to the best by far for help and advice. You'll normally find that there's a topic relating to any query you may have, and any question you pose will be willingly answered by the members who have a wealth of knowledge and experience behind them. Stay with us, heed any advice offered, and your tortoise will soon be living well and happy.
We love pics on this forum, so if you have any, please post them for us all to see.

#5 novice

novice

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

Mum always let Toby hibernate. I'm scared she won't wake up : (

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Did your Mum let her hibernate in the garden or did she box her up? She should be in now if she's not under lamps etc as I presume she's not eaten for some time. It takes around a month for them to empty but it's important that she is well hydrated by drinking or soaking. Don't worry, we will talk you through it and compare her life now to what she did when your Mum had her. Do you have any pics if her at all?

#7 novice

novice

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

I have a picture but am not savvy with uploading it. She's a lovely girl who weighs just under 7lbs. Mum had a box ready for her but Toby seems reluctant to go to sleep. She's indoors now in an upturned bookcase. She hasn't eaten for a while but I haven't seen her drink although she does have access to fresh water.

#8 novice

novice

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Attached File  1448727085433.jpg   42.44KB   0 downloads Hopefully this will work. She's not normally allowed anywhere othere than her pen.

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:18 AM

If she's not eaten for a month or so, you need to get her into hibernation ASAP to prevent her losing too much weight. Are you putting her into a cold area, as she won't go to sleep until temps approach 5 degrees?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users