Weed Identity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:I am currently a sales administrator with a passion for animals.
    I studied 2 years of animal care at college then went on to do a HNC in animal management.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hi guys, I've just got my new addition (photos to follow)

Can you identify these weeds for me, I have gave her some nettles and dandelion but I'm under the impression these are to only be given occasionally so are any of these a better food source?

My weed seeds have starting coming through but not quick enough!

Thanks for the help 😊

Attached Files

#2 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

3 is chickweed I think. OK.
Check out Linda king book in other post.
Also. http://m.thetortoise...m/plants_19.asp
If you haven't already. 2 maybe forget me not? Last one may be bristly ox tongue. But look them up on tortoisetable to be sure.

#3 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts
    I studied 2 years of animal care at college then went on to do a HNC in animal management.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thank you for that. That's been a great help  :)

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hi, the first one's Scarlet Pimpernell, and a definite no-no; the second one could be forget-me-not, but looks more like willowherb to me; in either event, they're both fine for torts. Third looks like chickweed but I'm not certain. The fourth looks very much like Nipplewort, which is fine. No idea on the fifth, sorry, but the sixth, I think, is Bristly Ox Tongue.
Check out the Tortoise Table for a more accurate ID and suitability.

#5 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

Thank you so much. I have been looking at the tortoise table but as none have flowered it has been making it quite difficult for such a beginner but I'm hoping once I've got the basics it will all come together.
I'm over the moon I have so many tortoise friendly weeds.
I have offered dried flowers and weeds but she hasn't been interested but the plants seem to be going down a treat.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:14 AM

Third could possibly be cleavers or goose grass but could do with knowing what the flowers are to be sure. The fifth looks like lupin and if so, toxic. I wouldn't offer dried stuff, especially if bought from a none verified source. Many internet sellers have no experience in tortoises dietry needs, so do be careful.

#7 Kitkat

Kitkat

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

I bought my dried flowers and some seeds from shelled warriors, are they okay? I have only offered the dried food once and to no avail so I have been finding and researching the plentiful amount of weeds in my garden, which seems to be going quite well.
I'm a bit nervous at this point about feeding garden weed s, though I feel I do a lot of research, if I did make a mistake and feed a bad weed would it be deadly? Or does it just depend on the weed?
Thanks for the advice

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

It would depend on the amount. Some sites sell goose grass or cleavers for instance as a separate seed. Feeding this exclusively, even for a short time would be a very bad idea. As mentioned most eBay sellers have no real knowledge of tortoise diet, they just sell seeds that are not known to be toxic (usually to mammals) which doesn't mean much at all. Tortoises have different digestive systems to mammals and can even eat some foods that would make something as large as a horse sick. Many tortoise rehabbers and even breeders are jumping on the bandwagon re seed sales, some making very silly claims when they gave only kept tortoises for a few years, therefore having no idea of the long term effects. I don't know of any of these sellers who have actually studied tortoises diets in the wild. Remember the same applies to tortoises as it does to puppies and other animals. If you find a breeder selling many different species, it's no different to people selling many different breeds of dogs ( or puppy farms). I agree it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, but advise from forums such as this or Reptile Forums UK will be good impartial advice with no hidden agenda. I don't go onto any of the Facebook groups any more other than TortoiseWorld as most are just beginners giving second hand advice or commercial outlets. Hope this helps and doesn't sound too biased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users