4 replies to this topic

#1 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:46 AM

Evening, or early morning!

Just wanted to get opinions on what is happening with Edward at the moment. I think I'm doing it correctly but just making sure. Not hibernating, due to illness in January.

He's slowed down with the coldness setting in. During this time he's stopped eating as much, as I expected, and has fallen from 130g to 122g, now back at 124g.

He sleeps a lot and isn't all too active. If he buries down at night, I usually have to wake him, unlike in the summer when he awoke himself. I bathe him majority of days.

Day temps are 32-34 ish with 18 in parts. Night around 16 and I can't get it colder as I'd like to get to 12 if I can but he's already in the coldest part of the house.

Would you say this is all normal and fine? Advice welcome

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

Yes this is normal for this time of year, they do slow down when the weather changes, when over wintering it's best for them to not gain much weight as they don't want to be growing too fast through the year, roll on spring. :)

#3 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yeah I figured all was good, just double checking.

He seems to want to bury down as early as midday. Should I let him? I've dug him up as I'm worried he's trying to hibernate

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:52 AM

I would leave him too it, it's just natural this time of year.  :)

#5 Kori5

Kori5

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

He will snap from it. Mine was acting the same and experienced members told me not to worry. Now he is active, walking basking etc. eating a little less but even got a few g :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users