• Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

You've obviously put a lot of work into your enclosure and from a human point of view it's very nice, but from a torts point of view it needs a lot more bright light and I'm not sure why there is a ramp to outside. If it was mine I would remove the palm and allow more light in, plus the slate or rock needs to be moved from under the lamp as. Torts don't like to bask on rocks, especially youngsters as the plastron can get too hot and cause serious damage. Try reducing your basking temps too as this will lead to her/him hiding. It's really nice for a youngster with a few tweaks ;)

#3 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

very funny how all yall say its made from a human point of view???

its totally made for the tortoise needs and she loves it!

its everything she encounters in the wild such as stones soil grass herbs and plants!

these kind of tortoises LOVE to climb an seek shade if it gets to warm!

i worked in a Zoo and worked with different kinds of reptiles!

so...pls dont criticise if you dont know your facts...

i can have critisism and appreciate tips...but...if its just to try to make point and its guessing n sh*t...dont bother commenting :)

cheers

#4 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

You've obviously put a lot of work into your enclosure and from a human point of view it's very nice, but from a torts point of view it needs a lot more bright light and I'm not sure why there is a ramp to outside. If it was mine I would remove the palm and allow more light in, plus the slate or rock needs to be moved from under the lamp as. Torts don't like to bask on rocks, especially youngsters as the plastron can get too hot and cause serious damage. Try reducing your basking temps too as this will lead to her/him hiding. It's really nice for a youngster with a few tweaks ;)

haha tweaks haha

you have a lot of negatives on my enclosure..haha

little envy maybe..well..doesn't matter haha

you should know that tort have personalities and mine DO likes to bask on a slate.

she wont lay on the dirt..i tried

and the palm is there as they seek shelter for the heat in the wild under bushes OR trees

and the ramp is removable as i said

she loves interacting with us and as i told its for when she is much bigger!

so from an animal point of view...its made for HER wishes

lol thanks for the comment

#5 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

Thought they weren't meant to have stone under heat lamp as it can burn their plastron? Very pretty enclosure for inside though, nice and deep for digging. Hope she likes it.

#6 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:35 AM

Thought they weren't meant to have stone under heat lamp as it can burn their plastron? Very pretty enclosure for inside though, nice and deep for digging. Hope she likes it.

no the stone absorbs heat till about 20 dgrs only as it is just slate...its nice and cozy.

thnx for the reaction and compliment ma'am!

and yup...she likes it a lot

roaming around every day :)

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hi, I agree with Sue it looks nice from a human point of view, trust me Sue doesn't say things out of envy she says what's best for the tortoise, you say about the palm tree yes they do have plants to hide away from the sun but there's no sun indoors, but it's your tortoise and your enclosure.

#8 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hi, I agree with Sue it looks nice from a human point of view, trust me Sue doesn't say things out of envy she says what's best for the tortoise, you say about the palm tree yes they do have plants to hide away from the sun but there's no sun indoors, but it's your tortoise and your enclosure.

its everything she encounters in the wild such as stones soil grass herbs and plants!

i can have critisism and appreciate tips...but...if its just to try to make point and its guessing n sh*t...dont bother commenting :)

cheers

#9 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

cheers

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

its everything she encounters in the wild such as slates soil grass herbs and plants!

cheers

Could I politely point out that people answering questions on the forum are long term keepers and breeders who have all made mistakes in the past and learned from them and then tried to pass this experience on to others, at no cost, just a love of the animals. We don't do guesswork, but work on facts and research in the wild. Many of us have actually studied tortoises in their natural climates and learned even more. For instance, tortoises are very rarely found on grass, never bask on rocks or slate and would suffer severe burns by doing so. Tortoises have evolved over millions of years and are still using the same survival methods that they used way back in history. Believe me, none of the people who help to run this forum make comments through envy, just experience and finding what works and what doesn't. Indoor long term habitats don't and I will not let my babies go to permanent indoor housing for any price sadly. Please do not swear on the forum as children read the posts.
I would suggest (again politely) that you join the tortoise trust forum www.tortoisetrust.org or look here www.tortoises.net or here www.tortsmad.com for information, the type that is offered to zoos and other establishments to assist with updating their often outdated husbandry practices. I would also suggest again that your enclosure, although pretty from an aesthetic point of view is only suitable for little ones (with removal of slate to a cool area) and never for an older tortoise, which needs a large (several metres square) outdoor area in order to thrive. Obviously people are only trying to help you in advance before you realise that a small indoor area will not work, either for good growth or for physical requirements. I'm so sorry you are upset, but please don't be hostile, people are only trying to help. ( would add a smiley, but emoticons aren't working for some reason)

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

That is very true, have seen several little ones with bladder stones from basking on rocks. They are fine for snakes, but never for tortoises.

#12 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

Could I politely point out that people answering questions on the forum are long term keepers and breeders who have all made mistakes in the past and learned from them and then tried to pass this experience on to others, at no cost, just a love of the animals. We don't do guesswork, but work on facts and research in the wild. Many of us have actually studied tortoises in their natural climates and learned even more. For instance, tortoises are very rarely found on grass, never bask on rocks or slate and would suffer severe burns by doing so. Tortoises have evolved over millions of years and are still using the same survival methods that they used way back in history. Believe me, none of the people who help to run this forum make comments through envy, just experience and finding what works and what doesn't. Indoor long term habitats don't and I will not let my babies go to permanent indoor housing for any price sadly. Please do not swear on the forum as children read the posts.
I would suggest (again politely) that you join the tortoise trust forum www.tortoisetrust.org or look here www.tortoises.net or here www.tortsmad.com for information, the type that is offered to zoos and other establishments to assist with updating their often outdated husbandry practices. I would also suggest again that your enclosure, although pretty from an aesthetic point of view is only suitable for little ones (with removal of slate to a cool area) and never for an older tortoise, which needs a large (several metres square) outdoor area in order to thrive. Obviously people are only trying to help you in advance before you realise that a small indoor area will not work, either for good growth or for physical requirements. I'm so sorry you are upset, but please don't be hostile, people are only trying to help. ( would add a smiley, but emoticons aren't working for some reason)

i bet none of yall have ever 'studied' tortoises and just act on experience!

they DO bask on stones as the dirt gets too powdry and will effect their lungs!

and also it doesnt burn their plastrums as the rocks are not rocks but tiles and they do not absorb much heat!

also one can never build a space large enough for tortoises as they wander for miles each day so your outside enclosures are never big enough too!

but then again...theres never enough space for any captive raised animal as they should all be in the wild huh?!

so what yall are saying is 'get a canary and give it a 5 mile enclosure so it can fly stretches...hahaha'

no than release the animal and give it freedom back!

they are used as pets by us all so they have to adapt like ME living in a flat...sure i want/need a castle but hey...guess i have to go live with you experts cos yall would build me one right??? :)

and for your 'guessed' fact of tortoises never found on grass.....well.....they are grassland species! haha

the live in southern europe where im from and i see them walking about our GRASSlands every single day!

thats ON the grass :)

so thats why i said 'pls dont give me negatives unless you are factual sure...' and as i can see...you arent!

dont tell me yall studied cos if yall did...ask a refund! :) they didnt teach you the right stuff...sorry

i appreciate the tried help but dont be negative if you dont know your absolute facts...be nice or just dont :)

i love tips and stuff but no non-grounded negatives

cheers

#13 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

That is very true, have seen several little ones with bladder stones from basking on rocks. They are fine for snakes, but never for tortoises.

its a tile and they DO NOT absorb heat...just a little warmth

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

You seem very annoyed with yourself, this forum is here for people to ask questions and post photos not be rude to other members, im sorry you don't like the answers you've got but the fact of the matter is you posted a video on a public forum and we are not going to say how lovely some thing is if we don't feel it's right, we have to give good information on what's in the tortoises best interest, as we have a lot of people read these pages looking for advice some are new to tortoise keeping, we also don't want new members not wanting to post due to the fact that other members are been very rude, this is the only time i'll say it if your rude again to any member I will have to remove you, please keep it friendly thanks. :)

#15 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

You seem very annoyed with yourself, this forum is here for people to ask questions and post photos not be rude to other members, im sorry you don't like the answers you've got but the fact of the matter is you posted a video on a public forum and we are not going to say how lovely some thing is if we don't feel it's right, we have to give good information on what's in the tortoises best interest, as we have a lot of people read these pages looking for advice some are new to tortoise keeping, we also don't want new members not wanting to post due to the fact that other members are been very rude, this is the only time i'll say it if your rude again to any member I will have to remove you, please keep it friendly thanks. :)

haha so if an argument doesnt go your way you threaten me with removing me? really?

i will be nice..if you dont give non fundamented comments just to critisise someone.

i know you were wrong and do have the right to say so just as you have the right to critisise..

no harm intended but dont give me a bad rap on my enclosure when you dont have the facts straight.

its not being rude...just being honost.

or is it that you can judge my enclosure and husbandry but i cant say nothing about your critics?

if thats the case then i will remove myself cos i want a forum where ppl dont judge others but help them with true facts.

we ll see what reactions i get on my other videos...where i am proud of..

hope they are nicer and with fundamented facts (read true) this time..

cheers

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

i bet none of yall have ever 'studied' tortoises and just act on experience!
they DO bask on stones as the dirt gets too powdry and will effect their lungs!
and also it doesnt burn their plastrums as the rocks are not rocks but tiles and they do not absorb much heat!
also one can never build a space large enough for tortoises as they wander for miles each day so your outside enclosures are never big enough too!
but then again...theres never enough space for any captive raised animal as they should all be in the wild huh?!
so what yall are saying is 'get a canary and give it a 5 mile enclosure so it can fly stretches...hahaha'
no than release the animal and give it freedom back!
 they are used as pets by us all so they have to adapt like ME living in a flat...sure i want/need a castle but hey...guess i have to go live with you experts cos yall would build me one right??? :)

and for your 'guessed' fact of tortoises never found on grass.....well.....they are grassland species! haha
the live in southern europe where im from and i see them walking about our GRASSlands every single day!
thats ON the grass :)

so thats why i said 'pls dont give me negatives unless you are factual sure...' and as i can see...you arent!
dont tell me yall studied cos if yall did...ask a refund! :) they didnt teach you the right stuff...sorry

i appreciate the tried help but dont be negative if you dont know your absolute facts...be nice or just dont :)
i love tips and stuff but no non-grounded negatives

cheers

Hope you don't mind but I won't reply to the ruder parts of the posts, just the relevant ones to clarify for new members.
My website shows some of our research. Several weeks were spent doing just this in The Antalya region of Turkey, some under sanctuary conditions and some in the mountainous area. The areas were arid and sparce for most of the summer months and the majority of Tgi that we observed were at the base of the mountains in dry rocky areas away from the lush grassy areas, being not a grassland species, but an arid dwelling species the same as hermanni sp which do not digest grass well. Of course they will walk over grass to get to other areas, because they can but you won't see them basking on grass as the conditions for thermoregulation are not good and they would not be feeding from it either. Whereabouts have you seen this happening, as I would love to put this on my list of places to visit, just to enrich my research. You say Southern Europe but would love some clarification on this, with a more exact location. Our observations on the Galápagos Islands were very different, these BEING a grassland species and having a diet high in various grasses, which made up around 80% of the entire diet. We never once found tortoises basking on stones or rocks, just snakes etc. In either region. A pet tortoise will bask on stones under a lamp purely because it has no choice if this is what has been placed there. This does not mean it is good for it though, as is so often seen at various vets practices with a high example of bladder stones and other dehydration issues. All heat for tortoises should come from above which is what the carapace has evolved to cope with. Dirt does get powdery, you are right there, but in captive conditions, not wild ones. Below ground in the wild humidity is high and so there is no powder and certainly no lung problems. It's up to us as caring owners to rectify this.
I'm not familiar with the phrase 'using animals as pets' which is why I would never expect one to adapt to indoor conditions. Personally I love horses, but don't have enough room for one, so wouldn't do it. I have a super fast dog which needs lots of exercise and running, she goes out daily, otherwise she would go stir crazy, but a friend who also loves my dog is disabled and could not give her this attention, so she has a cat. Does this make sense? No, I would not have a canary and give it the space it needed or it would fly away and become crow fodder. I would not keep a snake because I could not give it lots of space either, which I feel is cruel.
Finally, I would never ever make a negative statement re tortoises without being absolutely sure of the facts. As I say, try asking these same questions on the Tortoise Trust, Reptile Forums etc I'm sorry you did not get the reaction you were looking for but nobody was rude to you and maybe one day, you can come back with pics of your perfect adult tortoise to prove that I was wrong. Take care.

#17 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

haha so if an argument doesnt go your way you threaten me with removing me? really?
i will be nice..if you dont give non fundamented comments just to critisise someone.
i know you were wrong and do have the right to say so just as you have the right to critisise..
no harm intended but dont give me a bad rap on my enclosure when you dont have the facts straight.
its not being rude...just being honost.

or is it that you can judge my enclosure and husbandry but i cant say nothing about your critics?

if thats the case then i will remove myself cos i want a forum where ppl dont judge others but help them with true facts.

we ll see what reactions i get on my other videos...where i am proud of..
hope they are nicer and with fundamented facts (read true) this time..

cheers

I might be wrong but think removal would be to prevent this friendly forum being subjected to abusive posts, not just because someone has different views. Maybe a beer would help (vbg) ;)

#18 Guest_shelly2014_*

Guest_shelly2014_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

I might be wrong but think removal would be to prevent this friendly forum being subjected to abusive posts, not just because someone has different views. Maybe a beer would help (vbg) ;)

a beer would help? so i may go like you? nahhh dont think so...hahaha

cheers

#19 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

Hi Shelly
The keepers that you are talking too are very experienced and have studied them in their natural habbitats so being rude on here is making your self look silly!yes you may have worked in a Zoo doesnt mean your an expert on keeping tortoises,If you dont like having people giving you tips or advice them please dont post on here!

#20 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

Well said beermatt,he obviously didn't 'get' subtle. "Very pretty for inside" he thought it was a compliment. It's a shame because he's worked hard on that enclosure.:-) he seemed to have nice deep soil substrate and could plant it up nicely for a little one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users