1 reply to this topic

#1 LindaD58

LindaD58

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi

Not been here for a while but the mild weather here has prompted me into action!

Fred my OAP of a tort (Hermann around 60) :ohmy: has for all of those years been hibernated by the box in the loft method. And obviously survived !!  its December and15 C !! and he has been asleep but not for long, but is now wide awake. Not good. I have bathed him numerous times (not fed him), weighed him ( 765gms)  and put him back in his box. I have tried cooling him down using ice blocks in between his box and outer box which work to a certain extent but have to keep changing them. I have decided to get a small table top fridge as I am worried he isn't going to do well in the long run. I have never used this method but reading loads on it. My question to those of you who are experts at it is; Now he is awake after being asleep (though not properly) would it be ok to put him in a fridge?

I think in future, as our winters are not what they used to be, the fridge method will be the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

I think we are all having problems this year with the mild temps. Your tortoise is lucky though that it's mild as lofts can kill suddenly. Years ago it was fine, but now that lofts are insulated, they leave the roof space open to unnaturally high temps when the sun is out and freezing temps, when it freezes outdoors, so I would get him out of there ASAP. I think it's impossible for anyone to say if your tortoise will be ok to go back after waking. It's impossible to say how deeply he was asleep. I think this winter is going to see a lot of torts over wintered for longer and only time will tell if the dodgy start to winter is going to make a difference to their health when they wake. I do think that whatever you choose, earlier waking than normal would be a good idea. Sorry not to be more positive. Have you thought of asking on the Tortoise Trust site, they may have more info now they are in Spain regarding the way wild tortoises go in and out of hibernation when temps change. They do do this in nature, so all may still be well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users