5 replies to this topic

#1 DannyMogwai

DannyMogwai

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I have 2 Hermann's tortoises. I didn't hibernate them last year as they were too small. I wasn't going to this year, as they weren't large or heavy enough (according to a website I read previously). 

The larger of the two has now started to wake up for very little time (not at all today my fiance tells me) and has been eating less. The smaller one is more active, but also slowing down.

Am I too late to put them into hibernation? What would be the best procedure to do this, as it is a little late on from what I have already read elsewhere.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Daniel

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. :)

No it's not too late, I've just started winding down my hatchlings yesterday ready for hibernation they'll do 8 weeks Jan/ Feb, some people use the fridge method which works really well, and others use the box method, with this you'll need some where with good stable temperatures that stay between 3/ 8 I think some are finding the temperatures at the minute are a little too warm in shed's and garages ect, how big/old are the torts. :)

#3 DannyMogwai

DannyMogwai

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi Karen,

I believe they are 2-3 years. My fiance's brother asked us if we would like them, as his young daughter had lost interest in them, We have had them just over a year, but have still not got the certificate off her brother yet. So we are unsure exactly how old they are.

The bigger one was 9.5cm and the smaller is about 8cm. I read 10 cm and 500g were the minimum length and weight for them to hibernate. 

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

They can hibernate from their first year Danny, just the same as wild ones. A late hibernation this year is a good idea, as the weather has been so mild. Good luck.

#5 DannyMogwai

DannyMogwai

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

I have still been feeding them (though the bigger ones consumption has decreased recently). Do I need to starve them for a few weeks before putting them in?

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

Yes, you need to cut out all food for just under three weeks at that size. Keep them well hydrated by regular bathing and gradually reduce heat and light over this period until they are not interested in doing much at all at the time of boxing them up. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users