#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hi Julie,

Their both gorgeous, just a little friendly advice I would ditch the wood chippings substrate and change to top soil or coir, you'll have happier torts then, wood chippings are no good for them. :)

#3 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hi Karen , it is a mix but I will take your advice , what top soil can I use and were do I get it from , would a garden centre be ok , also what do you mean by coir

thank you for your values advice ,

John and  Julie

#4 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

Got some top soil today and got  rid of the chippings and put top soil in , post-27464-0-82661100-1450373709_thumb.jpost-27464-0-64961100-1450373679_thumb.j

also the book from the T lady arrived today , any more advice would be great,

Thank you, John, Julie

Attached Files

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

Hi John, Julie,

That's loads better, coir is coco coir like this http://www.google.co...110151844,d.bGQ this ones from Ikea it's also a good substrate as it holds moisture, you might find this helpful  http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm it's a really good care sheet, are your torts in a vivarium. :)

#6 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Thank you Karen, we think we will get some of that coir too just to mix with the soil, they seem to like the soil better and are really making a mess , yer we have them in a vivarium ,

thanks again for advice ,

John , Julie

#7 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hi all, this morning Joggy ended up on her back it was very distressing to watch and in the end I had to help her out , I know I really should not have but she looked like she was getting stressed out and was quite close to the lamp, how long should I have left her before helping ,

Thanks ,

John, Julie

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

Hi John, Julie,

Sorry for the late reply, vivarium's are no good for tortoises they do a lot better in an open topped enclosure, a vivarium has no air flow and they get too warm a tortoise really needs to have the choice of different temperatures to thrive, you could maybe look into this for them next, they do fall on their back from time to time and they do learn to right them self's it's best to have items in the enclosure like rocks etc so they can use them to help them self's back over, I leave mine to see if they can turn and if not I help but im out all day so they must right them self's when im not home, the only thing with yours been in a vivarium it will be a lot warmer so they would dehydrate faster. :)

#9 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

Hi Karen, we are looking to move house in the new year so maybe the twins will get a new home too , we have however today put some more large stones in ,another question I have is ,

we have been giving them baby leaf salad but it seams the only thing they will eat is the purple leaf stuff (not sure what it is ) and leave the rest is this a problem ,we also give them Nutrobal daily but only a fine dusting ,

Thanks again for the feed back,

John, Julie

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

Hi Karen, we are looking to move house in the new year so maybe the twins will get a new home too , we have however today put some more large stones in ,another question I have is ,
we have been giving them baby leaf salad but it seams the only thing they will eat is the purple leaf stuff (not sure what it is ) and leave the rest is this a problem ,we also give them Nutrobal daily but only a fine dusting ,

John, Julie

Baby leaf salad usually contains spinach, beet and other unsuitable leaves. Try Florette Crispy, that is all ok and they should eat it happily ;)

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

John, Julie

Hi John, Julie,

Variety is the key to a good diet, have you tried them with some weeds, it's a lot better for them and with this mild weather there's still plenty about have a look at this you might find you have some in your garden  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm  :)

#12 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hi Karen, we have got the book from the T lady so we are going to have a trip out and try and find some wild stuff, I am just so worried that I am going to give them something that does not agree with them , ,

thanks again, John, Julie

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Just remember John Julie, just because it is listed on some sites as not toxic doesn't necessarily mean it is part of a good diet. There are lots of well meaning people out there, but some info is a bit misleading, that's where the tlady book comes in. It's all about well researched diet for tortoises over many years in their own habitat. Even though there is lots of none toxic stuff out there, both in this country and their natural habitat, they dont necessarily eat it all, just the stuff they need to remain healthy for many years

#14 julieoggy

julieoggy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi, Susan, Karen, Thank you for the info again, been out and about today got some wild stuff they seem to like , so we will keep looking the T ladys book came in really handy ,

Thanks again

John, Julie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users