- - - - -

Wilton Pets and other scum bags

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

Ok so I contacted buyatortoise.info about why Wiltons were on the cert as the named holder and why it had been blacked out with a felt tip. Buyatortoise.info were shall we say less than helpful and said they were allowed to black out the name. i then wrote a sharp email saying that I was going to Wiltons about it and then DEFRA. To this a receive a very unhelpful and rude reply.
Contacted Wiltons and they said that they have a contract with both the slovenian farms to distribute them in the UK. The name often gets blanked out as dealers don't want to sell the animal with another companies name on it. This is quicker than applying to get it changed. According to Wiltons their name should NOT be crossed out and they are having a meeting with DEFRA on the 19th of January to discuss the matter.
I would then advise anyone who has had a bad experience with either company or a similar outlet to get their complaints to DEFRA by the 19th of January! Hopefully if they are meeting to review procedures now is the time to voice an opinion!!
Address as it appears on the cert is:
Dept for Environment, food and rural affairs
wildlife licensing and registration service
floor 1, zone 17, temple Quay House
2 the square, temple quay
bristol, BS1 6EB

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

Go Girl!!!!!!!!:)

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

Ironic if we want the tortoise changed from the breeders name, to our own name we have to apply to DEFRA and if the tortoise is nore than 10cm long it has to be chipped before they will do it.
I'm suprised DEFRA is even talking to them the amount of times they have had complaints about Wiltons
Any chance you could copy this licence and send it to Andy Highfeild
Arnie

#4 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

Aye will do I'm going to scan it and sent it along with all the email contact I've had with both companies to DEFRA so I'll send him a copy as well by email. When I was emailing buyatortoise.info I was so angry I wished I could have reached inside the computer and throttled him -very frustrating!

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

I have done a little bit of digging and this is what I've found out so far from a reliable source, I put parts of your mail in Kirsty so they could see and this is how it came back, I still don't think it's right, though

(( Ok so I contacted buyatortoise.info about why Wiltons were on the cert as the named holder and why it had been blacked out with a felt tip. Buyatortoise.info were shall we say less than helpful and said they were allowed to black out the name.))

((I believe DEFRA advise breeders to block out their names (for security) but not heard of it for the holders box.))

((Contacted Wiltons and they said that they have a contract with both
the slovenian farms to distribute them in the UK.)

((As far as I can tell, the Slovenia farm will only deal with Wiltons which means anybody that is selling slovenians, has to go through Wiltons.))

Hope this helps you a litle
Arnie

#6 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

I completely understand your frustration and anger, however i'd refrain from using the term 'scumbag' as it could be deemed slanderous. I know of someone on a similar website (non-chelonian) who was threatened because of a comment that he later couldn't retract. I understand how angry you are, but once ya click that button, it's there for all to see :)

#7 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Fair enough. Im totally skint anyways (postgrad student) so they would just have to join the queue for money. Wiltons while some may think their reputation questionable was actually quite polite in his email so who the term actually applies to can be left open for interpretation...;-)

#8 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

LOL:)

#9 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Nice retraction there! Ever considered a career in politics? }>

#10 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

The ladys not for turning lol:)

#11 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-01-06 AT 07:28 PM (GMT)]I'm old enough to remember who said that and lets just say I'm not too happy if you're implying similarities :) ;) She was a definate scumbag! ;) ;) Just like all these dealer for some reason she still managed to exist despite a large minority complaining about her! ;)

#12 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

Figure of speech honey, calm down

#13 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

Now...

A while back I was after info on a Mr TJ Cooper as in discusion with another importer he had mentioned the high mortality rate in a batch of Hermanns imported August and that it was known these tortoises were infested with worms but still sold.

I have found out that this Mr TJ Cooper supplies a lot to the trade including many well written web sites selling CB tortoises.

Now what I did not know was that Mr TJ Cooper is/or trades as Appleton pets!

See the pic.

#14 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

Hang on, whoa! :)

I bought my 4 year old Hermanns tortoise from Carlisle Tortoises.

No connection there you may think BUT on the CITES certificate, the importer is listed as Appleton Exotics.

Enclosed is a partial scan of my certificate.

Apparently, Carlisle Tortoises acquired my tortoise from them and, if you check out the website, all their tortoises are routinely wormed and their shells scrubbed with Betadine. Such hygiene and welfare measures sound essential when I hear about your experience.

I must stress that my Hermann has been in very good health since acquiring him, his eyes are bright and alert and he's very active. Is it possible that the August 2005 batch were in a minority of ill torts? I'd hate to think that George will end up sick or ill! :-( Genuinely sorry to hear about your experience, by the way.

#15 Guest_kategore_*

Guest_kategore_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:34 AM

Hi Mike,

Hope George has settled in Ok.

Do Carlisle Tortoises do deliveries themselves or do they use a courier?

Kate

#16 Guest_ston73_*

Guest_ston73_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

Sorry, failed to mention, we too bought our tortoise from 'buyatortoise'... also found the bloke extremely unhelpful regarding transportation etc.
ours was couriered to our home by TNT (where the bloke shook the box and tipped it upside down, despite it clearly stating 'live stock' on top!)

#17 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

Sorry, failed to mention, we too bought our tortoise from 'buyatortoise'... also found the bloke extremely unhelpful regarding transportation etc.
ours was couriered to our home by TNT (where the bloke shook the box and tipped it upside down, despite it clearly stating 'live stock' on top!)

Archie came by tnt and the guy shook the box and thought for some reason that it was grubs for fishing??!!! I think it was because it had a fly as the livestock symbol and the box weighing next to nothing!
Anyway as I have posted defra met with wiltons on the 19th. I am currently in contact with Joan McDonald a licencing officer at defra and she has promised to inform me of the outcome of that meeting.
As soon as I get it I'll post it up!

#18 Guest_ston73_*

Guest_ston73_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

Hello there, havent read all the messages from beginning, but soon as I saw your mail re: 'buyatortoise' and a blackened out name on yellow certificate, I knew straight away, Ugh-oh !:)
Are you having problems??
We recieved our tortoise a couple of days before xmas and have been rather concerned about its wellbeing??

#19 Guest_asolomio_*

Guest_asolomio_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Ive been reading this page with great interest. I am a newbie owner.. my father bought a tortoise from appleton in wigan, it was brought up last week.
Since ive had it it seems a little quiet, and has a few scars on it. It had a scab on its front leg which has now come off and left a red patch underneath. I am taking it to the vets on monday to have it microchipped.
Now this is another question. It has a certificate (its from slovenia too) but on the cert it says its less than 10cm ... which is not true. Ive just measured it and its 12.3cm... and its not been microchipped. Is this allowed?

Catherine x

#20 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-01-06 AT 05:24 PM (GMT)]Please be careful with having such a small tortoise microchipped. It can cause problems and as has been mentioned on this site before, ruptured bladder. Think carefully about it before you have it done. It really isn't necessary for one tort. Give your tort a warm bath and see if that perks up it's appetite.:) Here you go honey, go read a previous post on the subject of microchipping, hope this helps.
http://www.hermann-t...orum=DCForumID1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users