5 replies to this topic

#1 yorkshire-hermann

yorkshire-hermann

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Running ,travel, films tortoise

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

Can anyone advise me on a safe lawn feed ,And how long should the tortoise be kept off a treated lawn

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoises are best having an enclosure with soil and not going outside on the lawn really, how old is your tortoise. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Never let a tortoise onto a treated lawn, even years later. If they eat the vegetation it will still contain chemicals. As Karen says, torts don't really do lawns anyway ;)

#4 yorkshire-hermann

yorkshire-hermann

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Running ,travel, films tortoise

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoises are best having an enclosure with soil and not going outside on the lawn really, how old is your tortoise. :)

Thanks for the  welcome.

I dont have a tortoise yet,  I have spent the last year reading books etc in an effort not to make mistakes 

Our garden is small but secure from escape . i have built raised flower beds  to keep the tortoise safe and created a area with plants which I know to be safe if eaten

also  I have used a clean chemical free soil - sand   to provide shade as well as a area to dig 

Also I have built a hut  which is insulated  with a heater thermostat  ( safe height not reachable ) set to keep at a min 15 c  which I hope to house the tortoise in. through spring to early Autumn,

I hope to get a Hermann in the spring If possible 10 yrs or so as I feel it would be more hardy and easier for a beginner like myself to raise 

Regard Tom

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

Hi Tom
Well done on researching first, so you avoid pitfalls. Sounds as though you are well prepared. You are right that outdoors an older one will be easier to house, but remember that they are still cold blooded so will still need the ability to warm up to 32 degrees in order to properly digest their food. Of course they can do this in the sun, even at temps much lower than this, but will need added heat from the lamps at times of prolonged bad weather. Sorry if you already took this into account. You may be able to rescue a ten year old or similar when the time comes. Good luck ;)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the  welcome.

I dont have a tortoise yet,  I have spent the last year reading books etc in an effort not to make mistakes 

Our garden is small but secure from escape . i have built raised flower beds  to keep the tortoise safe and created a area with plants which I know to be safe if eaten

also  I have used a clean chemical free soil - sand   to provide shade as well as a area to dig 

Also I have built a hut  which is insulated  with a heater thermostat  ( safe height not reachable ) set to keep at a min 15 c  which I hope to house the tortoise in. through spring to early Autumn,

I hope to get a Hermann in the spring If possible 10 yrs or so as I feel it would be more hardy and easier for a beginner like myself to raise 

Regard Tom

Hi Tom,

It sounds like you have every thing ready for your new addition to the family, well done on doing all the research first, if you do have any questions there's always someone around happy to help, and we would love to see pictures of your new tortoise when he/ she arrives. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users