• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cathy

Cathy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hi, we have had our 6month old hermann a week now and today was the first time he has had a poo.....he did it just before I put him in the bath and it was very green and quite runny. Is this normal??? He came with pellets but I have never actually seen him eat them, about twice a day I put in a bit of lambs lettuce, red chard and dandelion leaves, he eats these. Also how long do I need to leave him in the bath for, he always tries to get out and I don't want to stress him out.....and another one, what temperature is he able to safely tolerate as it is usually 80 during the day but drops to 60-65 during the night?
I want to make sure we are doing things right!!!
Thanking you in advance for your help ;)

#2 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hi
I don't think he should be on pellets at all. Too high in protein. Think chard is feed sparingly dandelion is good. Plantain is better I think. Check all this with tortoise table data base of safe feed plants
http://m.thetortoise...m/plants_19.asp
I am told 20 mins in bath is about right. Some do try and get out but settle eventually.
Not sure about poo, molly's is usually quite firm and brown.she only goes once a week. As for temps I work in celcius so not sure really.somebody with more experience will probably come on and tell you more.hope this helps to start with.:-)

#3 Cathy

Cathy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hi
I don't think he should be on pellets at all. Too high in protein. Think chard is feed sparingly dandelion is good. Plantain is better I think. Check all this with tortoise table data base of safe feed plants
http://m.thetortoise...m/plants_19.asp
I am told 20 mins in bath is about right. Some do try and get out but settle eventually.
Not sure about poo, molly's is usually quite firm and brown.she only goes once a week. As for temps I work in celcius so not sure really.somebody with more experience will probably come on and tell you more.hope this helps to start with.:-)

#4 Cathy

Cathy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Thank you, will make sure he doesn't have red chard everyday. The temp gets up to just over 30 and then when we had a frost in the morning was down to 12....?

#5 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

I was told to aim for 32° c under lamp during day and 21° away from heat lamp, I think 12°c is OK at night.

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hi, we have had our 6month old hermann a week now and today was the first time he has had a poo.....he did it just before I put him in the bath and it was very green and quite runny. Is this normal??? He came with pellets but I have never actually seen him eat them, about twice a day I put in a bit of lambs lettuce, red chard and dandelion leaves, he eats these. Also how long do I need to leave him in the bath for, he always tries to get out and I don't want to stress him out.....and another one, what temperature is he able to safely tolerate as it is usually 80 during the day but drops to 60-65 during the night?
I want to make sure we are doing things right!!!
Thanking you in advance for your help ;)

Hi Cathy,

No their poo shouldn't be runny at all, when it's like this it's normally down to the diet their been fed, I would stop feeding the pellets all together and try and feed a more natural diet of weeds, it's ok over winter to add some salad leaves but it's not best that it's their main diet, you might find this helpful regarding diet http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm and this is a great new book that's come out to help people ID what's good tortoise food  http://www.tlady.clara.net/id16.htm  :) As for temperature this needs to be right, they need a basking area of 32, with the other side of the table cooler so they have a choice of temperatures, night time temperatures need to fall as this is more natural for them. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users