• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilGJ

PhilGJ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi, I've had my Hermann's tortoise for less than 2 weeks, he's 18 months old and I've named him Bolt! I did so much research before I bought him but there seems so much conflicting info out there and I'm a bit concerned because I've noticed his eyes don't seem to open much. There doesn't appear to be any discharge but they just seem to stick shut and the black of his eye doesn't look very shiny when they do open. I chose him because he was so active but he doesn't seem as active as when I first put him in his enclosure. Is this just because he's settled in so not exploring as much? His appetite is fine, infact he's quite greedy! He's on tortoise life substrate, with 100 watt Arcadia combi heat / UV lamp, I mist the enclosure twice a day, I've tried bathing his eyes with warm water and cod liver oil. Any advice? Am I doing anything obviously wrong? I've attached a photo of the enclosure. I'm really fond of him and want to do everything to give him the best life I can so any advice is very gratefully received. Thanks, Phil.

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

Firstly where did you get him? If from a breeder, then you need to get back to them to make them aware of the problem. If from a pet shop (not a good idea) then it could be any number of things as you won't know how it's been kept since importation etc Misting doesn't really work as it only slightly wets the surface and then is lost to evaporation almost immediately. Think of the wild, the lower levels of soil are far damper than the surface, so you need to water it and let the top dry out. This means that as they dig down overnight, moisture is conserved which prevent eyes etc drying out. Looking at your pic, you need deeper substrate and a lot more light, plus it will help to remove the sleeping area as these are not needed at all ;) Hope this helps.

#3 PhilGJ

PhilGJ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for your reply. He came from a local aquatic centre but he was kept in a vivarium which is probably the first no-no...I noticed he had burrowed down under some wood the other night so I will definitely add deeper substrate for him to dig. Re the lighting, the photo was taken on my ipad and doesn't really do it justice - it is pretty well lit but we added shady areas. We made the tortoise table ourselves so should be able to take out his sleeping area. Thank you for the advice ☺

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Just think of the lighting levels outdoors in the Med, positively blinding, so shady areas not needed indoors in uk ;) I'm sure removing hide areas will help as lamps on the substrate where he is buried overnight will wake him instantly. Keep a close eye on him though as imports and pet trade torts are prone to all sorts of disease due to cross contamination which you don't get with captive bred. Good luck!

#5 PhilGJ

PhilGJ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

Oh dear, feel a bit stupid now knowing fully well that he comes from the med! Probably explains why he doesn't explore much as he doesn't want to be in the shade! I guess it's best to learn early on than compromising his health in the long run. He's such a fab little thing. Thank you very much for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users