• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kiahsimmons

Kiahsimmons

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi, I am absolutely in love with tortoises and I've been planning on buying a Hermann tortoise for a couple of years now. Before buying I wanted to make sure I had done plenty of research so I could give my tortoise the best care. After finding so many different books and websites I found this page and have decided to stick to facts from these as all different websites have told me so many different things as you're all tortoise owners you know your stuff. So sorry for questions but any advice will be so helpful.
Thanks 🙂

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

Good to see someone doing research first. As with all things tortoise I always suggest people follow the advice of well known organisations such as the tortoise trust or long term breeders websites. The majority of books out there are based on second hand information and involve no first hand research, so you are going to get lots of suggestions that are not necessarily going to help your tortoise. Always think of what they would have in nature, such as substrate, temperatures and humidity, to base your care plans on. Give as much room as possible and always have fresh water available. Don't use fast growing commercial food pellets but stick to as much of a wild diet as possible. Hope this helps.
www.tortsmad.com www.tortoises.net

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:34 AM

Hi, I am absolutely in love with tortoises and I've been planning on buying a Hermann tortoise for a couple of years now. Before buying I wanted to make sure I had done plenty of research so I could give my tortoise the best care. After finding so many different books and websites I found this page and have decided to stick to facts from these as all different websites have told me so many different things as you're all tortoise owners you know your stuff. So sorry for questions but any advice will be so helpful.
Thanks

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

It's really good to see your doing your research first, I think a lot of people just jump in and don't always realise what's involved in keeping them, this is a good friendly forum that will give you great advice when needed, so any questions you have just ask there's always some one around happy to help.  :)

Are you planning on getting your tortoise from a breeder and not a pet shop.  :)

#4 Kiahsimmons

Kiahsimmons

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi,
I will be getting my tortoise from a breeder. Will be on here soon asking for recommended breeders as I'm cautious about who I get them off. Also won't be getting one until I have a tortoise table all set up and ensure that its working well in case things go wrong.
Thanks

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

I'm sure we will be able to point you to a breeder in your area, there are a lot more than there used to be years ago. My own babies are available to the Midlands, northwest and Merseyside, but I do meet people half way too if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users