• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Can anyone recommend a variety of Hibiscus plant. I know that some of these varieties can be toxic to tortoises. Not to bothered about flowering colour. Want to plant one in the spring and just want a proven variety.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

It's syriacus that is toxic to dogs but not sure if it's toxic to torts. All other varieties are fine but will take a few years to settle into flowering early enough.

#3 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

Thanks. I saw on the TTT website that Rose of Sharon (syriacus) is ok. Will go for this variety.

It was bit confusing as there is also a plant with the same name but more commonly called St John's Wort, which is states is toxic.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

Never go by common names, it can prove fatal. Websites giving toxic names are all very well, but many relate to different animals and different countries. As far as I know there is only one book relating to the actual plants that relate to tortoise diet suitability and that is Lin Kings book as found on www.tortoises.net So many plants being advised here and there as part of a tortoises diet would never even be found in the tortoises natural habitat and even if they were, toxic or not, they may well never be eaten by tortoises. It's people's personal choice of course but for my torts, things will always be kept simple and the animals fed with what is known to provide good nutrition without looking for others and making the whole process more complicated.

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

Sue is correct when she says not to go by common names, as this can be misleading. In the case of Hibiscus, the familiar variety, Hibiscus Syriacus is safe for torts, and comes under the family Malvaceae, which also includes Lavetera and Hollyhocks. Where the confusion arises is that this particular variety is sometimes known as Rose of Sharon, the same common name given St. John's Wort, which is poisonous to tortoises.

It's always good to double-check using the Latin names.

#6 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I have a copy of Linda Kings book. Got it for Xmas. Found it very useful.
Like you say Sue "keep it simple" - good advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users