3 replies to this topic

#1 Alimilford

Alimilford

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

Hi all
I'm a new owner to two beautiful females- one is 15 and the other is 21. They lived together previously and the previous owner said that they got on fine.
Since we have had them they were settled for the first week. The older female has since become very aggressive and is biting the younger one on her arms and legs and face! It is really very vicious and upsetting to watch. She also climbs on top of her, looks like she is trying to mate and generally seems to terrify her. The younger one seems to have become very quiet and will stay in the corner of the tortoise table with her head and arms pulled in.
When the aggression starts I pull her away or lift her out completely but am worried what is happening when I'm not there.
As well as this she is also trying very hard to climb out of the tortoise table and goes round and round in circles. She loves to be out roaming round the kitchen or in the garden. We think the tortoise table is too small - it is 1m square and think it is probably only suitable for one tortoise.
My other question is - could she be nesting?
Any advice would be very welcome as we are thinking we might be better off to re-home her and stick to having one happy tortoise rather than 2 unhappy ones! ☹

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

This is typical behaviour of tortoises being confined in small areas. Tortoise tables are really only suitable for hatchlings and very young juveniles. Adults need large areas as they are territorial and roam large territories in the wild. If you are certain these are both female and the same species, then it's likely overcrowding in too close confinement but it's possible you have a male, so you need to post pics of the underside of your tortoises showing tail area. You really need to remove both tortoises from this area, especially the dominant one. They need a shed or greenhouse, but during winter would really be better in hibernation, which you need to do a proper wind down of a month, to prepare them. Put pictures up first so that we can ID them for you. Even if you do rehome one, it's not a good idea to try to keep an adult tortoise in such a confined space as the need to escape will still be there and cause high stress levels, which in turn leads to illness. Hope this helps.

#3 Alimilford

Alimilford

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Many thanks for this- I think we were given the wrong advice from previous owner. Will post pics.
Ali

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

[quote name="Alimilford" post="65564" timestamp="1452790189"]Many thanks for this- I think we were given the wrong advice from previous owner. Will post pics.
Ali[/quote

Sadly this often happens when tortoises are rehomed or sold on. Look forward to seeing pics and being able to help further ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users